All that remains : a renowned forensic scientist on death, mortality, and solving crimes / Sue Black.
Black, Sue M. (författare)
- ISBN 9781950691913
- First North American paperback edition.
- Publicerad: New York : Arcade Publishing, 2020
- Copyright: ©2018
- Engelska 352 pages
- Silent teachers -- Our cells and ourselves -- Death in the family -- Death up close and personal -- Ashes to ashes -- Dem bones -- Not forgotten -- Invenerunt corpus-body found -- The body mutilated -- Kosovo -- When disaster strikes -- Fate, fear and phobias -- An ideal solution -- Epilogue -- The man from Balmore.
- Book of the Year, Saltire Literary Awards A CrimeReads Best True Crime Book of the Month For fans of Caitlin Doughty, Mary Roach, Kathy Reichs, and CSI shows, a renowned forensic scientist on death and mortality. Dame Sue Black is an internationally renowned forensic anthropologist and human anatomist. She has lived her life eye to eye with the Grim Reaper, and she writes vividly about it in this book, which is part primer on the basics of identifying human remains, part frank memoir of a woman whose first paying job as a schoolgirl was to apprentice in a butcher shop, and part no-nonsense but deeply humane introduction to the reality of death in our lives. It is a treat for CSI junkies, murder mystery and thriller readers, and anyone seeking a clear-eyed guide to a subject that touches us all. Cutting through hype, romanticism, and cliche, she recounts her first dissection; her own first acquaintance with a loved one's death; the mortal remains in her lab and at burial sites as well as scenes of violence, murder, and criminal dismemberment; and about investigating mass fatalities due to war, accident, or natural disaster, such as the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. She uses key cases to reveal how forensic science has developed and what her work has taught her about human nature. Acclaimed by bestselling crime writers and fellow scientists alike, All That Remains is neither sad nor macabre. While Professor Black tells of tragedy, she also infuses her stories with a wicked sense of humor and much common sense.
- "Sue Black confronts death every day. As Professor of Anatomy and Forensic Anthropology, she focuses on mortal remains in her lab, at burial sites, at scenes of violence, murder and criminal dismemberment, and when investigating mass fatalities due to war, accident or natural disaster. In All That Remains she reveals the many faces of death she has come to know, using key cases to explore how forensic science has developed, and what her work has taught her. Do we expect a book about death to be sad? Macabre? Sue's book is neither. There is tragedy, but there is also humour in stories as gripping as the best crime novel. Our own death will remain a great unknown. But as an expert witness from the final frontier, Sue Black is the wisest, most reassuring, most compelling of guides."--Amazon.com.
- Kriminalteknik (sao)
- Kriminaltekniker (sao)
- Death. (LCSH)
- Forensic scientists -- Great Britain -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Death -- Psychological aspects. (LCSH)
- Forensic sciences -- Anecdotes. (LCSH)
- Death (MeSH)
- Attitude to Death (MeSH)
- Mort. (Vedettes-matière)
- Spécialistes de la criminalistique -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies. (Vedettes-matière)
- Mort -- Aspect psychologique. (Vedettes-matière)
- Criminalistique -- Anecdotes. (Vedettes-matière)
- deaths. (aat)
- Death. (fast)
- Forensic sciences. (fast)
- Forensic scientists. (fast)
- Death -- Psychological aspects. (fast)
- Forensic sciences (LCSH)
- Forensic scientists (LCSH)
- Great Britain. (fast)
- Autobiography (MeSH)
- Anecdotes. (fast)
- Autobiographies. (fast)
- Biographies. (fast)
- Autobiographies. (lcgft)
- Autobiographies. (rvmgf)
- Black, Sue M.
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Lz Biografi: särskilda personer
- Oepb Polisväsen
- HV8073 (LCC)
- 363.2/5/092 (DDC)
- Lz Black, Sue (kssb/8)
- Oepb (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit