Philosophy of biology before biology / edited by Cécilia Bognon-Küss and Charles T. Wolfe.
Bognon-Küss, Cécilia (redaktör/utgivare)
Wolfe, Charles T. (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9781315623955
- Publicerad: Abingdon, Oxon ; Routledge, 2019
- Copyright: ©2019
- Engelska PDF (xi, 220 pages)
Serie: History and philosophy of biology
- Cover; Half Title; Series Page; Title Page; Copyright Page; Dedication; Table of Contents; Notes on contributors; Acknowledgments; Introduction; Notes; References; 1 The idea of 'philosophy of biology before biology': a methodological provocation; Philosophy of biology before biology: an absurd idea?; Biology and philosophy of biology; Biological philosophy and philosophy of biology; 'Historical epistemology of the life sciences' and philosophy of biology; Philosophy of biology before biology: biology and the conceptual conditions of its emergence; Conclusion; Acknowledgments; Notes.
- 3 Metaphysics and "vital" materialism: Émilie Du Châtelet and the origins of French vitalismIntroduction; Leibnizian organic machines; Leibnizianism among the French: Du Châtelet's synthesis; Buffon's organic molecules; Conclusion; Acknowledgments; Notes; References; 4 The philosophical uptake of Caspar Friedrich Wolff in German philosophy after 1770: Tetens, Herder, Kant and Blumenbach; Introduction; Caspar Friedrich Wolff and epigenesis; Johann Nicolaus Tetens; Johann Gottfried Herder; Immanuel Kant; Blumenbach between Kant and Wolff; Conclusion; Notes; References.
- Part II: Organism and organization5 Senebier and the advent of general physiology; Introduction; Physiology and the functioning of plants; Extension of patterns to animal physiology; Conclusion; Notes; References; 6 Organization and process. Living systems between inner and outer worlds: Cuvier, Hufeland, Cabanis; Introduction; Cuvier's science of organized beings; Hufeland's reproductive organisms; Cabanis's organic networks of reaction centers; Concluding remarks; Notes; References; Part III: Systems.
- 7 Philosophy of ecology long before ecology: Kant's idea of an organized system of organized beingsTwo traditions of defining ecology; Ecological ideas in the physico-theological tradition; Kant's systems thinking; Kant's ecology: "organizing systems of organized bodies"; Kant's contribution to ecology; References; 8 "All is leaf ": Goethe's plant philosophy and poetry; 1 The primal plant and its organ, the leaf; 2 The metamorphosis of the leaf; Conclusion; Abbreviations; Notes; References; 9 'Biologie': Lamarck's endeavor of a science of living entities; Introduction.
- The use of the term "biology" to refer to a unified science of life emerged around 1800 (most prominently by scientists such as Lamarck and Treviranus, although scholarship has indicated its usage at least 30-40 years earlier). The interplay between philosophy and natural science has also accompanied the constitution of biology as a science. Philosophy of Biology Before Biology examines biological and protobiological writings from the mid-eighteenth century to the early nineteenth century (from Buffon to Cuvier; Kant to Oken; and Kielmeyer) with two major sets of questions in mind: What were the distinctive conceptual features of the move toward biology as a science? What were the relations and differences between the "philosophical" focus on the nature of living entities, and the "scientific" focus? This insightful volume produces a fresh but also systematic perspective both on the history of biology as a science and on the early versions of, in the 1960s in a post-positivist context, the philosophy of biology. It will appeal to students and researchers interested in fields such as history of science, philosophy of science and biology.
- Naturuppfattning -- historia (sao)
- Biology -- Philosophy -- History -- 18th century. (LCSH)
- Biology -- Philosophy -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Philosophy of nature -- History -- 18th century. (LCSH)
- Philosophy of nature -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Philosophy of nature. (fast)
- Biology -- Philosophy. (fast)
- Biologi -- teori, filosofi (sao)
- Philosophy of nature - History (lcsh)
- 1700-talet (sao)
- 1800-talet (barn)
- 1700-1899 (fast)
- History. (fast)
- Electronic books.
- QH305 (LCC)
- 570.1 (DDC)
- Ue:d (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 3 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Södertörns högskolebibliotek, E-resurser (Ddig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for SH) (Ebook Central Perpetual, DDA and Subscription Titles:Full Text)
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Taylor & Francis eBooks Complete:Full Text)
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Taylor & Francis eBooks (Complete Collection))