The age of plastic: ingenuity and responsibility : proceedings of the 2012 MCI Symposium / edited by Odile Madden [and four others].
Madden, Odile (Odile Marguerite) (redaktör/utgivare)
Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press, (publisher.)
- Publicerad: Washington, D.C. : Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press, 2017.
- Engelska vi, 181 pages
Serie: Smithsonian contributions to museum conservation, 1949-2359 ; 7
- "This volume brings together papers presented at "The Age of Plastic: Ingenuity + Responsibility," a Smithsonian symposium hosted by the Museum Conservation Institute on June 7 and 8, 2012. The event was conceived as a cross-disciplinary exploration of plastic, as technological material, cultural phenomenon, preservation challenge, and force on the environment. Writers, scientists, conservators, historians, filmmakers, designers and policy makers offer researched and first-hand accounts from life in the Plastic Age. Papers are organized to highlight the importance and complexity of plastic material culture through juxtaposition of countervailing positive and negative viewpoints. The volume features observations on innovation in plastic with past and contemporary examples of furniture design, failed experiments with proteinaceous fibers before World War II, the transition of celluloid from ivory simulant to unique identity, the space program, and bioplastics in automobiles. Studies of the rise of food packaging further explore how plastic shapes and is shaped by our culture. Preservation challenges that new, often unstable plastic pose for the cultural heritage community are explored through case studies of novel conservation treatments, research into new deterioration phenomena, and knowledge transfer. The relationship between plastic and the environment is probed with perspectives on pollution, advantages of plastic to living zoological collections, and recycling."--Provided by publisher.
- Plaster -- historia (sao)
- Plaster -- miljöaspekter (sao)
- Plaster -- sociala aspekter (sao)
- Konservering (museiteknik) (sao)
- Museum conservation methods (LCSH)
- Plastics -- History -- Congresses. (LCSH)
- Plastics -- Technological innovations -- Congresses. (LCSH)
- Plastics -- Environmental aspects -- Congresses. (LCSH)
- Plastics -- Conservation -- Congresses. (LCSH)
- Plastics -- Social aspects -- Congresses. (LCSH)
- Konferenser (saogf)
- TP1116 (LCC)
- 668.4 (DDC)
- Pmib (kssb/8)
- Bga (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit