The life and letters of Charles Darwin [Elektronisk resurs] : including an autobiographical chapter / edited by his son, Francis Darwin.
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882. (författare)
Alternativt namn: Darwin, Charles Robert, 1809-1882
Darwin, Francis, Sir, 1848-1925. (författare)
- Rev. ed.
- London : John Murray, 1888.
- Engelska x, 395 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://content.apa.o... (Table of contents / Abstracts) (Table of contents)
- "In choosing letters for publication I have been largely guided by the wish to illustrate my father's personal character. But his life was so essentially one of work, that a history of the man could not be written without following closely the career of the author. Thus it comes about that the chief part of the book falls into chapters whose titles correspond to the names of his books. In arranging the letters I have adhered as far as possible to chronological sequence, but the character and variety of his researches make a strictly chronological order an impossibility. It was his habit to work more or less simultaneously at several subjects. Experimental work was often carried on as a refreshment or variety, while books entailing reasoning and the marshalling of large bodies of facts were being written. Moreover, many of his researches were allowed to drop, and only resumed after an interval of years. Thus a rigidly chronological series of letters would present a patchwork of subjects, each of which would be difficult to follow. The Table of Contents will show in what way I have attempted to avoid this result. It will be seen, for instance, that the second volume is not chronologically continuous with the first. Again, in the third volume, the botanical work, which principally occupied my father during the later years of his life, is treated in a separate series of chapters"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved).
- Science -- Biography (MeSH)
- Autobiography (MeSH)
- Naturalists -- England -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882.
- QH31.D2 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit