Nobility and kingship in Medieval England : the earls and Edward I, 1272-1307 / Andrew M. Spencer.
Spencer, Andrew M. (författare)
- ISBN 9781107026759
- Publicerad: Cambridge ; Cambridge University Press, 2014
- Engelska xii, 306 p.
Serie: Cambridge studies in medieval life and thought, 0950-6314 ; vol. 91
- Machine generated contents note: Introduction; 1. The Earls and their lands; Part I. The King and the Earls: 2. Consorts, companions and counsellors; 3. Justice, franchises, war and reward; Part II. The Earls in Local Society: 4. Introduction to Earls in local society; 5. The creation of comital followings; 6. The exercise of comital power; Part III. Politics and the Earls: 7. The making of Edwardian power, 1265-86; 8. The Testing Ground, 1286-1307; Conclusion.
- "Nobility and Kingship in Medieval England is a major new account of the relationship between Edward I and his earls, and of the role of the English nobility in thirteenth-century governance. Re-evaluating crown-noble relations of the period, Spencer challenges traditional interpretations of Edward's reign, showing that his reputed masterfulness has been overplayed and that his kingship was far subtler, and therefore more effective, than this stereotype would suggest. Drawing from key earldoms such as Lincoln, Lancaster, Cornwall and Warenne, the book reveals how nobles created local followings and exercised power at a local level as well as surveying the political, governmental, social and military lives of the earls, prompting us to rethink our perception of their position in thirteenth-century politics. Adopting a powerful revisionist perspective, Spencer presents a major new statement about thirteenth-century England; one which will transform our understanding of politics and kingship in the period"--
- Politik (sao)
- Adel (sao)
- Nobility -- England -- History -- To 1500. (LCSH)
- Patronage, Political -- England -- History -- To 1500. (LCSH)
- HISTORY / Europe / Great Britain. (bisacsh)
- Nobility (LCSH)
- Storbritannien (sao)
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1272-1307. (LCSH)
- Edward I, King of England, 1239-1307.
- Edvard I, kung av England, 1239-1307
- DA229 (LCC)
- 942.03/5 (DDC)
- HIS015000 (bisacsh)
- Ke (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Örebro universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Odig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig inom Örebro universitet och externt för studenter och anställda vid universitetet) (fulltext) (Ebook Central Perpetual, DDA and Subscription Titles)