China's forbearance has limits : Chinese threat and retaliation signaling and its implications for a Sino-American military confrontation / by Paul H.B. Godwin and Alice L. Miller
Godwin, Paul H. B. (författare)
Miller, Alice L. (författare)
National Defense University. Center for Strategic Research. (utgivare)
- Washington, D.C. : National Defense University Press, 2013
- Engelska 109 p.
- Executive summary -- Introduction -- The record: Beijing's use of military force -- China's crisis decisionmaking process and crisis management -- Signaling the intent to employ military force- China's warnings calculus -- Signaling case studies- Taiwan -- Analyzing Beijing's signals- things to consider -- Conclusion- a hypothetical South China Sea signalling scenario -- Appendix 1 -- Appendix 2 -- Appendix 3 -- Notes -- Acknowlegments -- About the authors.
- This study assesses the context and motivations of the PRC's use of military force since 1949. It then extracts Beijing's use of its calculus of warning statements in detail from several instances in which it has threatened and, in some cases, actually followed through with the use of military force to resolve a dispute. It offers several points to take into account in watching for and analyzing Beijing's use of this warnings calculus in contemporary contexts, and it offers a hypothetical scenario in which this calculus might appear in the context of China's claims in the South China Sea. -- Excerpted from introduction.
- Säkerhetspolitik (sao)
- Försvarspolitik (sao)
- Internationella relationer (sao)
- National security (LCSH)
- International relations (LCSH)
- National security -- Pacific Area. (LCSH)
- Förenta staterna
- United States -- Foreign relations -- China. (LCSH)
- China -- Foreign relations -- United States. (LCSH)
- China -- Military policy. (LCSH)
- China -- Strategic aspects. (LCSH)
- China -- foreign policy -- military strategy -- USA (sipri)
- Asia Pacific -- regional security (sipri)
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit