School, reform, and society in the new Russia [Elektronisk resurs] / Stephen L. Webber.
Webber, Stephen L., 1967- (författare)
- Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 1999.
- Engelska 272 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- List of Tables and Figures Foreword by Anthony Jones Acknowledgements List of Terms and Abbreviations INTRODUCTION Organisation Studying Russia's Schools: Lessons for the Individual and the System PART I: THE AIMS OF THE REFORM What does Russia Need from its Schools? The Development of the Reform Agenda The Programme for Change PART II: PATTERNS OF CHANGE IN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM The Challenge of Devloution The Culture of the Russian School and the Teaching Profession Signs of Change? Mechanisms of Cohesion and Support Teacher Education: Questions of Quality and Quantity A Progress Report for the Russian School PART III: RUSSIA'S SCHOOL AND ITS SOCIETY The Vulnerability of the School Epilogue Appendices Notes and References Bibliography Index of Names Index of Subjects.
- This book traces the development of the policies of reform which the Russian school system has been tasked with implementing in the 1990s. After a review of the origins of the reform momentum, a detailed analysis, based on extensive fieldwork, is conducted of the manner in which change has been interpreted and approached at each level in the system, from federal ministry to the classroom. Despite having to cope with the complexities, internal contradictions and huge demands of change, and struggling with a severe funding crisis, it is argued that school reform had begun to be institutionalized by the late 1990s. However, when such internal progress within the system is set in the context of the political, economic and social instability which has plagued Russia throughout this decade, the long-term future of the school system as an effective institution must remain in doubt.
- 'It would be difficult to name other studies of either the Soviet or post-Soviet Russian education that would be equally broad in scope, and at the same time so consistently empirical and thoroughly documented...A landmark contribution to the study of postcommunist educational change.' - V. Karpov and E. Lisovskaia, University of West Michigan, for Comparative Education Review 'How well are Russia's schools doing, and how able is the teaching profession to deliver what is needed? Stephen Webber has done a remarkable job of helping us to make that judgement...It is the definitive account of this topic, and is likely to remain so for years to come.' - Professor Anthony Jones, Harvard University.
- Educational change -- Russia (Federation). (LCSH)
- Education and state -- Russia (Federation). (LCSH)
- Education -- Russia (Federation). (LCSH)
- Sociology & anthropology -- c 1990 to c 2000 -- Russia. (bicssc)
- Politics & government -- c 1990 to c 2000 -- Russia. (bicssc)
- Education -- c 1990 to c 2000 -- Russia. (bicssc)
- Society. (eflch)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Educational change Russia (Federation)
- JH (ämneskategori)
- JP (ämneskategori)
- JN (ämneskategori)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
- 379.47 (DDC)
- Emkd (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.