The invention of journalism [Elektronisk resurs] / Jean K. Chalaby.
Chalaby, Jean K. (författare)
- Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 1998.
- Engelska 224 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Introduction PART ONE: A TALE OF TWO DISCOURSES 'Knowledge is Power': The Working Class 'Unstampeds' as an Example of Public Discourse The Formation of the Journalistic Field PART TWO: DISCOURSE AND METHOD: OPTIONS FOR SOCIOLOGY Beyond the Prison-House of Language: Discourse as a Sociological Concept PART THREE: DISCURSIVE TRANSFORMATIONS IN THE BRITISH PRESS, 1850s-1930s Press and Politics: A New Relationship Discursive Norms and Practices in Journalism Journalistic Discursive Strategies The Polarization of the British Press Journalists and Their Public.
- 'This is a valuable study of the emergence of journalism as a discursive field during the mid to late-nineteenth century. Chalaby brings together a lot of previously dislocated argument in describing and explaining the formation of the genres of the contemporary press. The framework is primarily economic and he is able to bring into play the elements of capitalism and class division which have to be kept in motion in any analysis seeking to offer a general explanation for the way things are...All this makes sense and the highly structured account is enlivened by some interesting material from the papers themselves...Chalaby's analysis has a strongly social-scientific emphasis and looks deeply into the present. His book is part of the jigsaw of research into the media, its history and operation, directed from a variety of cultural locations...[T]his spirited study of the history and practice of journalism as discourse is an effective contribution to an understanding of the newspaper press in the modern period.' - Michael Harris, Media History.
- Journalism -- History. (LCSH)
- Press and politics -- History -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Journalism -- Political aspects -- History -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Press & journalism -- United Kingdom, Great Britain. (bicssc)
- Social & cultural history -- United Kingdom, Great Britain. (bicssc)
- Media Studies. (eflch)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Journalism Great Britain History
- KNTJ (ämneskategori)
- HBTB (ämneskategori)
- MED (ämneskategori)
- 072.09 (DDC)
- Bt-e (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.