Ghosts [Elektronisk resurs] : deconstruction, psychoanalysis, history / Edited by Peter Buse, Andrew Stott.
- Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 1999.
- Engelska 280 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Notes on Contributors Introduction: A Future for Haunting-- P.Buse and A.Stott I: SPECTRALITY AND THEORY Specters of Engels-- W.Maley 'Something Tremendous, Something Elemental': On the Ghostly Origins of Psychoanalysis-- R.Luckhurst Phantasmagoria: Walter Benjamin and the Poetics of Urban Modernism-- C.Britzolakis Spectre and Impurity: History and the Transcendental in Derrida and Adorno-- N.Mapp II: UNCANNY FICTIONS Anachrony and Anatopia: Specters of Marx, Derrida and Gothic Fiction-- R.Parkin-Gounelas Theft, Terror, and Family Values: The Mysteries and Domesticities of Udolpho-- N.Freeland The Medium of Exchange-- M.Merck The Postcolonial Ghost Story-- K.Gelder and J.M.Jacobs III: SPECTRAL CULTURE The Machine in the Ghost: Spiritualism, Technology, and the 'Direct Voice'-- S.Connor Angles in the Architecture: the Economy of the Supernatural-- C.Bloom The Other Side of Plato's Wall-- R.Noyes Index.
- From Hamlet to Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, our culture has been continually haunted. Ghosts do exist, maybe not in a physical sense, but certainly as a means of expressing our concerns for life and death, the passing of time, and the conscious and unconscious minds. The powerful metaphor of haunting has been used as an intellectual tool by writers and thinkers such as Marx, Freud and Derrida in the fields of politics, psychoanalysis and philosophy respectively. Ghosts: Deconstruction, Psychoanalysis, History is a collection of essays that interrogates these ghosts, examining the efficacy and use of the concepts of haunting and spectrality as they appear in literature, culture, and theory. Here you will find essays on nineteenth-century spiritualism, Marxism, gothic fiction, postcolonialism, and gender studies by a range of critical theorists and literary and cultural critics. Offering a variety of theoretical perspectives, the volume considers haunting across the disciplines of literary, media, and cultural studies.
- 'Ghosts: Deconstruction, psychoanalysis, history'...includes...superb essays, searching dark and cobwebby nooks and passages in Victorian and modern thought.' - Marina Warner, Times Literary Supplement Voted one of the best books of 1999 in the Times Literary Supplement by Marina Warner.
- Ghosts. (LCSH)
- Deconstruction. (LCSH)
- Psychoanalysis -- History. (LCSH)
- Ghosts in literature. (LCSH)
- Cultural studies -- English. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: general -- English. (bicssc)
- History of Western philosophy -- English. (bicssc)
- Society. (eflch)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Ghosts Ghosts in literature
- JFC (ämneskategori)
- DSB (ämneskategori)
- HPC (ämneskategori)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
- 809.93375 (DDC)
- G.096 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.