Ambivalence in Hardy [Elektronisk resurs] : A study of his attitude to women / Shanta Dutta.
Dutta, Shanta. (författare)
- Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2000.
- Engelska 272 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Preface Acknowledgements Introduction: The Critics' Debate The Hand of Ethelberta The Return of the Native Two on a Tower The Woodlanders The Short Stories of the 1890s Jude the Obscure Hardy, his Wives, and his Literary Protegees Hardy and Some Contemporary Female Writers Conclusion: 'A Confused Heap of Impressions' Notes Index.
- Here the Hardy canon is challenged through the analysis of two 'minor' novels, The Hand of Ethelberta and Two on a Tower, and with the help of manuscript evidence a revolutionary re-reading of The Woodlanders is offered. Generous references to Hardy's letters, autobiography, literary notebooks, marginalia, and the letters of his two wives seek to blend a biographical approach with a feminist reading. Parallelisms between Hardy's fiction and that of contemporary feminist writers are explored to suggest mutual literary influence. Hardy's relations with contemporary women writers, especially his protegees and his 'scribbling' wives, are discussed in unprecedented detail. An analysis of the short stories makes a case for Hardy as the champion of 'Woman as Victim', while his changing responses to the Suffrage movement suggest a deep-rooted ambivalence that makes any glib appropriation of Hardy under the feminist banner too simplistic. This book thus highlights the tensions and contradictions between Hardy the apologist for women and Hardy the alleged misogynist.
- Ambivalence in literature. (LCSH)
- Women in literature. (LCSH)
- Literary studies: fiction, novelists & prose writers -- English. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900 -- English. (bicssc)
- Gender studies: women -- English. (bicssc)
- Literature. (eflch)
- Hardy, Thomas, 1840-1928. -- Characters -- Women.
- DSK (ämneskategori)
- DSBF (ämneskategori)
- JFSJ1 (ämneskategori)
- LIT (ämneskategori)
- 823.8 (DDC)
- He.01 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.