Social mobility in nineteenth- and early twentieth-century England [Elektronisk resurs] / Andrew Miles.
Miles, Andrew, 1961- (författare)
- Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 1999.
- Engelska 280 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- List of Tables List of Figures Introduction Exploring the Land of Boundless Opportunity Social Mobility and Class Formation Industrialisation and Social Fluidity Occupations, Classes and Mobility Career Mobility Mechanisms and Meanings of Mobility Marriage Markets and Women's Role in Social Mobility Social Mobility and Class Structure in Historical Perspective Appendix 1: The Social Classification Scheme Appendix 2: Clas Outflow and Inflow Rates of Selected Occupational Groups Appendix 3: Occupational Sector Distributions of Grooms by Class and Sector of Fathers by Marriage Cohort Notes Bibliography Index.
- What role has social mobility played in the structuring of modern society? Are mature industrial societies more 'open' than their predecessors? These, essentially historical, questions have long been at the core of sociological work on social mobility, yet have received no sustained attention from British historians. In this ground breaking study, Andrew Miles subjects historical evidence of intergenerational and career mobility from the records on nineteenth-century marriages and autobiographical testimony to the analytical techniques developed by social scientists. In contrast to John Godthorpe's conclusions for the twentieth century, he demonstrates that the increase in mobility which accompanied the growth of an increasingly urbanised and bureaucratic service economy over the second half of the nineteenth century made English society more 'open', while simultaneously giving rise to a process of working-class formation which helped shape the emergence of modern Labour politics.
- Social mobility -- History -- 19th century -- England. (LCSH)
- Social mobility -- History -- 20th century -- England. (LCSH)
- Occupational mobility -- History -- 19th century -- England. (LCSH)
- Occupational mobility -- History -- 20th century -- England. (LCSH)
- Social & cultural history -- c 1800 to c 1900 -- 20th century -- England. (bicssc)
- Social mobility -- c 1800 to c 1900 -- 20th century -- England. (bicssc)
- Economic history -- c 1800 to c 1900 -- 20th century -- England. (bicssc)
- British & Irish history -- c 1800 to c 1900 -- 20th century -- England. (bicssc)
- Modern history to 20th century: c 1700 to c 1900 -- c 1800 to c 1900 -- 20th century -- England. (bicssc)
- History. (eflch)
- England -- Social conditions -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- England -- Social conditions -- 20th century. (LCSH)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Social mobility England Social classes
- HBTB (ämneskategori)
- JFFM (ämneskategori)
- KCZ (ämneskategori)
- HBJD1 (ämneskategori)
- HBLL (ämneskategori)
- HIS (ämneskategori)
- 305.513094109034 (DDC)
- Oabka (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.