Anthology for musical analysis : postmodern update / Charles Burkhart with William Rothstein.
Burkhart, Charles (Charles L.) (sammanställare)
Rothstein, William Nathan. (sammanställare)
- ISBN 0-495-18976-6
- 6th ed.
- Belmont, CA : Thomson/Schirmer, c2008.
- Engelska 1 score (xvi, 653 p.)
- Table of contents from publisher's WWW site: Part I: Medieval and Renaissance compositions. Introduction. Examples of Plainchant-Kyrie from Mass XIII; Tone for the Benedicamus Domino; Hymn to St. John the Baptist; Hymn for Lauds, December 25; Antiphon for Vespers, 3rd Sunday of Advent; Gloria Patri for the Introit of the Mass.Hildegard of Bingen-Excerpts from Ordo Virtutum (morality play). Guillaume de Machaut-De bon espoir-Puisque la douce rosee-Speravi (isorhythmic motet). Guillaume Dufay-Communio from Missa Sancti Jacobi (fauxbourdon). Josquin Desprez-Tu pauperum refugium (motet); Baisés moy (double canon). Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina-Sanctus and Benedictus from Missa Aeterna Christi Munera. Roland de Lassus-Three Duos: 2-Beatus homo; 5-Expectatio justorum; 12-Sicut rosa. Examples of Stock Basses (late sixteenth century)-Claude Gervaise, Pavane Passamaize; Jacomo Gorzanis, Passamezzo and Saltarello (dance pair); Greensleeves. Thomas Morley-Now is the Month of Maying (ballet). Carlo Gesualdo-Moro lasso al mio duolo (madrigal).
- Part II: Baroque compositions. Introduction. Claudio Monteverdi-Lasciatemi morire (madrigal). Arcangelo Corelli-Adagio and Allegro from Violin Sonata, Op. 5, No. 1; Allemanda from Trio Sonata, Op. 4, No. 11. Henry Purcell-Dido's Lament from Dido and Aeneas. Elisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre-Prelude from Suite II of Pièces de Clavecin. François Couperin-Les Moissonneurs from Pièces de Clavecin, Ordre VI. Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach-Four Pieces: March, Minuet, Aria, Polonaise. George Frideric Handel-Concerto Grosso in B minor, Op. 6, No. 12 (in score): Largo, Allegro; Air from Suite No. 5 in E major (variations); Chorus: "Wretched Lovers" from Acis and Galatea; Recitative: "Thy rebuke hath broken his heart" from Messiah; Aria: "Where'er you walk" from Semele. Johann Sebastian Bach-Gavottes I and II from English Suite No. 3 in G minor; Minuets I and II from Suite No. 1 in G major for Violoncello Solo; Chaconne from Partita No. 2 in D minor for Violin Solo; Two Inventions: No. 4 in D minor, No. 12 in A major; Preludes and Fugues from The Well-Tempered Clavier from Book I: Prelude 1 in C major, Fugue 11 in F major, Fugue 16 in G minor, Fugue 21 in B flat major; from Book II: Prelude and Fugue 9 in E major (with the Fugue in E major of J.K.F. Fischer, ca. 1665-1746); Contrapunctus VII from The Art of the Fugue; Four Canons from The Musical Offering; Crucifixus from Mass in B minor; O Gott, du frommer Gott (chorale variation); Two Chorale Preludes: Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein, Vor deinen Tron tret' ich hiermit. Domenico Scarlatti-Sonata in D major, K. 96 (Longo 465).
- Part III: Classical compostions. Introduction. Joseph Haydn-Piano Sonata No. 36 in C sharp minor, first movement; Piano Sonata No. 37 in D major, third movement; String Quartet in G minor, Op. 74, No. 3, second movement; Symphony No. 101 in D major, third and fourth movement (in score). Muzio Clementi-Sonatina in G major, Op. 36, No. 2, first movement.Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart-Divertimento No. 14 for wind sextet, K. 270, second movement; Theme with Variations from Piano Sonata in D major, K. 284; Piano Sonata in B flat major, K. 333: Allegro, Andante cantabile, Allegretto grazioso; Fantasia in C minor, K. 475; The Bird-Catcher's Song from The Magic Flute, K. 620; Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622, first movement (in score). Ludwig van Beethoven-Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, Op. 2, No. 1, first movement; Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat major, Op. 7, second movement; Piano Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10, No. 1, second movement; Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 ("Pathétique"): Grave, Allegro di molto e con brio, Adagio cantabile, Allegro; Piano Sonata No. 9 in E major, Op. 14, No. 1, second movement; Sonata for Violin and Piano ("Spring"), Op. 24, first movement; Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28, third movement; Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major ("Waldstein"), Op. 53, first movement; String Quartet in E minor, Op. 59, No. 2, first movement; String Quartet No. 13 in B flat major, Op. 130, second movement.
- Part IV: Romantic compositions. Introduction. Carl Friedrich Zelter-"Der König in Thule". Franz Schubert-Three Lieder: "Nähe des Geliebten", "Der Doppelgänger" from Schwanengesang, "Erlkönig"; Two Piano Pieces: Waltz in A flat major, Op. 9, No. 2, Moment Musical in A flat major, Op. 94, No. 6. Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel-"O Herbst" (a cappella chorus). Felix Mendelssohn-Song Without Words, Op. 19b, No.1. Robert Schumann-Seven Pieces from Album for the Young, Op. 68: 1-Melody, 3-Humming Song, 6-Poor Orphan Child, 8-Wild Rider, 14-Little Etude, 17-Little Morning Wanderer, 31-War Song; Vogel als Prophet from Waldszenen, Op. 82; "Er, der herrlichste von allen" from Frauenliebe und -leben, Op. 42. Frédéric Chopin-Five Preludes from Op. 28: No. 1 in C major, No. 4 in E minor, No. 6 in B minor, No. 9 in E major, No. 19 in E flat major, No. 20 in C minor; Four Mazurkas: No. 5 in B flat major, Op. 7, No. 1; No. 6 in A minor, Op. 7, No. 2; No. 37 in A flat major, Op. 59, No. 2; No. 49 in F minor, Op. posth. 68, No. 4; Nocturne in D flat major, Op. 27, No. 2. Richard Wagner-Prelude to Act I from Tristan und Isolde. Clara Schumann-Andante espressivo from Quatre Pièces fugitives, Op. 15. César Franck-Moderato from Chorale No. 1 in E major for organ. Johannes Brahms-Variations on a Theme of Robert Schumann, Op. 9 (excerpt); "Wie Melodien zieht er mir," Op. 105, No. 1; Three Intermezzos: Intermezzo in A minor, Op. 76, No. 7; Intermezzo in A major, Op. 118, No. 2; Intermezzo in C major, Op. 119, No. 3; Sonata in F minor for Clarinet and Piano, Op. 120, No. 1, first movement. Hugo Wolf-Two Songs: "Das verlassene Mägdlein", "In der Frühe". Gustav Mahler-Adagietto from Symphony No. 5 (score). Amy Beach-"Dark is the Night," from Three Songs, Op. 11.
- Part V: Since Debussy. Introduction. Claude Debussy-Prélude à "L'Après-midi d'un faune"; La cathédrale engloutie, from Preludes, Book I. Arnold Schoenberg-No. 1 of Three Piano Pieces, Op. 11: Summer Morning by a Lake (Colors); No. 3 of Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16: Piano Piece, Op. 33a. Charles Ives-Two Songs: "The Cage"; "General William Booth Enters into Heaven" (with the hymn "Cleansing Fountain") Maurice Ravel-"Le Martin-Pêcheur" from Histoires Naturelles. Bela Bartók-Three Pieces from Mikrokosmos: Bulgarian Rhythm, Syncopation, Diminished Fifth; Music for String Instruments, Percussion, and Celesta; first movement (score). Igor Stravinsky-Le sacre du printemps, Introduction to Part II; Theme and Variations A, B, and C from Octet for Wind Instruments, second movement; "Full Fadom Five" from Three Songs from William Shakespeare; Pas-de-Quatre and Coda from Agon. Anton Webern-Five Movements for String Quartet, Op. 5, fourth movement; "Wie bin ich froh!" from Drei Lieder, Op. 25; Variations for Piano, Op. 27, second movement. Alban Berg-"Schlafend trägt man mich" from Vier Lieder, Op. 2. Paul Hindemith-"A Swan" from Six Chansons; Fuga prima in C from Ludus Tonalis. Ernst Krenek-Suite for Violoncello Solo, Op. 84, first movement. Ruth Crawford Seeger-String Quartet 1931, third movement. Luigi Dallapiccola-Simbolo, No. 1 from Quaderno Musicale di Annalibera. Olivier Messiaen-Liturgie de cristal, No. 1 from Quatuor pour la fin du temps. Elliott Carter-Canaries from Eight Pieces for Four Timpani. William Schuman-Three-Score Set, second movement. John Cage-For Paul Taylor and Anita Dencks. Milton Babbitt-"Play on Notes" for children's voices and bells; Semi-Simple Variations. György Ligeti-No. 1 of Ten Pieces for Wind Quartet. George Crumb-"¿Por qué nací entre espejos? from Madrigals, Book IV. Toru Takemitsu-Autumn from Rocking Mirror Daybreak for violin duo. Terry Riley-In C.Steve Reich-Clapping Music. Bruce Saylor-"Psalm 13" from Four Psalm Settings. John Adams-"This is Prophetic" from Nixon in China.
- Part VI: Postmodern update. Ástor Piazzolla - No. 6 of Six Tango Etudes for solo flute (1987). György Ligeti - Galamb Borong from Études pour piano, deuxième livre (1988-89). György Kurtág - Officium breve in memoriam Andreae Szervánsky, Op. 28, for string quartet (1988-89). John Harbison - Variations for clarinet in A, violin, and piano (1982). Variations I-VI. Joan Tower - Wild Purple for solo viola (1998). Ellen Taaffe Zwilich - String quartet no. 2 Second movement (1998). Fred Lerdahl - First String Quartet Variations I-X (1978). Kaija Saariaho - Attente from Quatre Instants for soprano and piano (2002).
- Appendix A: Two Jazz Forms: Blues and Rhythm Changes. Appendix B: Mostly Chorale Harmonizations.
- Musical analysis -- Music collections. (LCSH)
- Music appreciation -- Music collections. (LCSH)
- MT6.5 (LCC)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.