Social memory in ancient and colonial Mesoamerica / Amos Megged.
Megged, Amos. (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-521-11227-7
- Cambridge [England] ; Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Engelska xiii, 342 p.
- "Before the Spanish conquest and well into the eighteenth century, Mesoamerican peoples believed that "time" and "space" were contained in earthly and heavenly receptacles that were visualized metaphorically. This circumscribed space contained the abodes of the dead. There, deities and ancestral spirits could be revived and the living could communicate with them. In Social Memory in Ancient and Colonial Mesoamerica, Amos Megged uncovers the missing links in Mesoamerican peoples' quest for their collective past. Analyzing ancient repositories of knowledge, as well as social and religious practices, he uncovers the unique procedures and formulas by which social memory was communicated and how it operated in Mesoamerica prior to the Spanish conquest. He also explores how cherished and revived practices evolved, how they were adapted to changing circumstances, and how they helped various ethnic groups cope with the tribulations of colonization and Christianization. Megged's volume also suggests how social and cultural historians, ethnohistorians, and anthropologists can rethink indigenous representations of the past while taking into account the deep transformations in Mexican society during the colonial era."--BOOK JACKET.
- Kollektivt minne -- Centralamerika -- historia (sao)
- Folkseder -- Centralamerika -- före 1800 (sao)
- Indianer -- Centralamerika -- historia (sao)
- Indians of Mexico -- Social life and customs. (LCSH)
- Indians of Central America -- Social life and customs. (LCSH)
- Collective memory -- Mexico -- History. (LCSH)
- Collective memory -- Central America -- History. (LCSH)
- Sacred space -- Mexico -- History. (LCSH)
- Sacred space -- Central America -- History. (LCSH)
- Space and time -- Social aspects -- History. (LCSH)
- Space and time -- Religious aspects -- History. (LCSH)
- Mexico -- Social life and customs. (LCSH)
- Central America -- Social life and customs. (LCSH)
- F1219.3.S6 (LCC)
- 306.699792 (DDC)
- C:oa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit