Perpetual fear [electronic resource] : impunity and cycles of violence in Zimbabwe / [Tiseke Kasambala]
Kasambala, Tiseke. (författare)
Human Rights Watch (utgivare)
- New York, NY, USA : Human Rights Watch, c2011.
- Engelska 1 online resource (40 p.)
Läs hela texten
- Summary -- Methodology -- I. Background -- A History of Impunity -- Impunity in the Context of Elections -- II. Impunity and International Law -- III. Impunity through Amnesties and Clemency -- IV. Failure to Investigate and Prosecute Serious Political Crimes -- V. Failure to Investigate Torture by State Agents -- VI. Response of the Power-Sharing Government -- Recommendations -- To the Government of National Unity -- To the Member States of the Southern African Development Community -- To the European Union and the United States -- Acknowledgements.
- "Two years since the formation of a power-sharing government that was expected to end human rights violations and restore the rule of law, politically motivated violence and the lack of accountability for abuses remains a serious problem in Zimbabwe. Perpetual Fear: Impunity and Cycles of Violence in Zimbabwe, examines the impunity that prevails in Zimbabwe by updating illustrative cases of political killings, torture, and abductions by alleged government security forces and their allies that took place during and after the presidential election run-off in 2008. There has been little or no accountability for these crimes. Cases of political violence that have been filed by victims or their relatives have largely been ignored by the police or have stalled in the courts. And the government has failed to respond to calls by local nongovernmental organizations for investigations into abuses. With a referendum and elections planned for 2011, the lack of accountability and justice for past abuses raises the specter of further violence, and poses a significant obstacle to the holding of free, fair, and credible elections. Human Rights Watch calls on the power-sharing government to immediately embark on credible, impartial and transparent investigations into serious human rights abuses and discipline or prosecute those responsible, regardless of their position or rank. The government should put transitional justice mechanisms in place while reforming the criminal justice system to ensure that it meets international legal standards. Ending impunity for past and ongoing abuses is essential if Zimbabwe is to end violence and firmly establish the rule of law."--P.  of cover.
- Human rights -- Zimbabwe. (LCSH)
- Impunity -- Zimbabwe. (LCSH)
- Torture -- Government policy -- Zimbabwe. (LCSH)
- Rule of law -- Zimbabwe. (LCSH)
- Political violence -- Zimbabwe. (LCSH)
- Violence -- Zimbabwe. (LCSH)
- human rights -- violations -- Zimbabwe (sipri)
- KTZ209.5 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
SIPRI Library and Documentation Department, Biblioteket (Sipr)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: (Fri e-publikation)