Non-Muslims in the early Islamic Empire : from surrender to coexistence / Milka Levy-Rubin.
Levy-Rubin, Milka, 1955- (författare)
- ISBN 978-1-107-00433-7 (hardback)
- Cambridge, [England] ; Cambridge University Press, 2011
- Engelska xv, 267 p.
Serie: Cambridge studies in Islamic civilization
- "The Muslim conquest of the East in the seventh century entailed the subjugation of Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, and others. Although much has been written about the status of non-Muslims in the Islamic empire, no previous works have examined how the rules applying to minorities were formulated. Milka Levy-Rubin's remarkable book traces the emergence of these regulations from the first surrender agreements in the immediate aftermath of conquest to the formation of the canonic document called the Pact of U?mar, which was formalized under the early A?bbasids, in the first half of the ninth century. What the study reveals is that the conquered peoples themselves played a major role in the creation of these policies, and that these were based on long-standing traditions, customs, and institutions from earlier pre-Islamic cultures that originated in the worlds of both the conquerors and the conquered. In its connections to Roman, Byzantine, and Sasanian traditions, the book will appeal to historians of Europe as well as Arabia and Persia"--Provided by publisher.
- Dhimmis -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Islamic Empire -- History. (LCSH)
- Religious minorities -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Islamic Empire -- History. (LCSH)
- Religiösa minoriteter -- Arabiska väldet -- 622-1517 (sao)
- Minorities (Islamic law) (LCSH)
- Islam and state -- Islamic Empire -- History. (LCSH)
- Islam and politics -- Islamic Empire -- History. (LCSH)
- Religious tolerance -- Islamic Empire -- History. (LCSH)
- HISTORY / Middle East / General (bisacsh)
- Islamic Empire -- Ethnic relations. (LCSH)
- Islamic Empire -- Politics and government. (LCSH)
- DS36.9.D47 (LCC)
- 305.60956/09021 (DDC)
- HIS026000 (bisacsh)
- C (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Uppsala universitetsbibliotek, Carolinabiblioteket (U)Ange som favorit
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Öppen samling Cmd 899