Keeping the momentum [electronic resource] : one year in the life of the UN Human Rights Council.
Rivero, Juliette de. (författare)
Costa, Judit. (författare)
Dam, Philippe. (författare)
Human Rights Watch (Organization) (utgivare)
- New York, NY, USA : Human Rights Watch (HRW), c2011.
- Engelska 1 online resource (83 p.)
- Relaterad länk:
http://www.hrw.org/s... (Fritt tillgänglig via HRW) (PDF version)
http://www.hrw.org/r... (HTML version)
- Summary -- Recommendations -- Improving States' Performance at the Human Rights Council -- Strengthening the Work Environment and Methods of the Council -- Methodology -- A Year in the Life of the Human Rights Council: Achievements and Challenges -- Progress in Responding to Country Situations -- Iran: New Special Rapporteur -- Côte d'Ivoire: Establishment of a Commission of Inquiry and a New Independent Expert Mandate -- Libya: Suspension of Membership to the Council and Establishment of a Commission of Inquiry -- Belarus: Monitoring of the Human Rights Situation in the Country -- Tunisia: Supporting the Establishment of an OHCHR Office in the Country -- Syria: Fact-finding Mission Established; Bid for Council Seat Withdrawn -- Yemen: Briefing on the OHCHR Visit to the Country -- The Council's Ongoing Response to Other Country Situations -- The Failure to Respond to Important Human Rights Crises -- Bahrain -- Sri Lanka -- Afghanistan -- The Council's Engagement on the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Israel -- Progress in Thematic Areas Addressed by the Council -- Preventing Maternal Mortality -- Creation of a New Special Rapporteur Mandate on Freedom of Assembly and Association -- Landmark Decision on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity -- Creation of a New Working Group on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women -- Discontinuing the Resolution on Defamation of Religions -- Worrying Thematic Developments -- Business and Human Rights -- Traditional Values -- Institutional Developments -- Performance of Delegations that Most Influenced the Work of the Human Rights Council -- Algeria -- Argentina -- Brazil -- Chile -- China -- Cuba -- Egypt -- European Union -- France -- Ghana -- Japan -- Jordan -- The Maldives -- Mauritius -- Mexico -- Nigeria -- Norway -- Pakistan -- Republic of Korea (South Korea) -- Russia -- Senegal -- South Africa -- Switzerland -- Thailand -- United Kingdom -- United States -- Uruguay -- Zambia -- Appendix 1: Select Resolutions and Decisions -- Appendix 2: Cosponsors of Special Sessions -- Appendix 3: Voting Records by Regional Group -- Acknowledgments.
- "Five years after its creation, the UN Human Rights Council began shaking off its reluctance to engage on "country situations" by taking concrete steps to respond to several human rights crises across the globe. From July 2010 through June 2011, the Council established commissions of inquiry on Libya and Côte d'Ivoire, appointed an expert to investigate the human rights situation in Iran, and spoke out after years of silence on the human rights situation in Belarus. It responded quickly and helpfully to the Arab Spring in some countries (Libya, Syria, Tunisia), but ignored entirely developments in Bahrain. Keeping the Momentum highlights the main achievements of the Council in the past year, while noting the serious human rights situations that the Council failed to address. By taking a close look at the performance of 27 states that have played an influential role at the Council, the report shows how a small number of states have moved the Council from being a passive spectator to engaging actively in a manner that shapes human rights on the ground. And it describes how some states have sought to derail that progress. The report examines ways to consolidate and build on that progress to the benefit of all those facing human rights abuse. Human Rights Watch challenges states to live up to the Council's clear mandate: to promote and protect the human rights of people throughout the world."--P.  of cover.
- human rights -- UN (sipri)
- Human rights. (LCSH)
- International cooperation. (LCSH)
- United Nations Human Rights Council.
- JZ4974 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
SIPRI Library and Documentation Department, Biblioteket (Sipr)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Fri e-publikation