Righting military injustice [electronic resource] : addressing Uganda's unlawful prosecutions of civilians in military courts / [Maria Burnett and Aisling Reidy].
Burnett, Maria (författare)
Reidy, Aisling. (författare)
Human Rights Watch (Organization) (utgivare)
- ISBN 1-56432-796-5 (electronic bk)
- New York, NY : Human Rights Watch (HRW), c2011.
- Engelska 1 online resource (27 p.)
Läs hela texten (Fritt tillgänglig via HRW)
- Since 2002, military courts in Uganda have prosecuted over 1,000 civilians on charges under the criminal code, such as murder and armed robbery. Some of those convicted were sentenced to death. In 2006, the Ugandan Constitutional Court, in a judgment consistent with international law, held that military courts are not competent to try civilians. Yet civilians continue to be prosecuted and, as of July 2011, at least 341 cases involving civilians were pending before the country's military courts. This report documents civilian prosecutions before military courts and the steps Uganda should take to address the rights violations of those detained, awaiting trial and convicted. Human Rights Watch calls on Uganda to halt immediately the proceedings in all pending cases of civilians before military courts, and to fulfill its obligations to remedy the situation for civilians serving prison terms handed down by military courts. To carry out these steps efficiently and effectively, military and civilian prosecutors should collaborate to identify all military court cases involving civilians and provide each defendant a remedy, such as release with possible retrial before civilian courts. Donors involved in supporting the professionalization of the Uganda People's Defense Forces and strengthening Uganda's justice, law and order sector should help authorities take effective remedial action in line with international human rights law.
- civilians -- trials -- Uganda (sipri)
- Military courts -- Uganda. (LCSH)
- Prosecution -- Uganda. (LCSH)
- Civil-military relations -- Uganda. (LCSH)
- Electronic books. (local)
- KTW326 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
SIPRI Library and Documentation Department, Biblioteket (Sipr)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Fri e-publikation