Catholicism, war and the foundation of Francoism : the Juventud de Acción Popular in Spain, 1931-1939 / Sid Lowe.
Lowe, Sid. (författare)
- ISBN 978-1-84519-373-7 (hc alk paper)
- Brighton ; Sussex Academic Press, 2010.
- Engelska xviii, 332 p.,  p. of plates
Serie: The Cañada Blanch/Sussex Academic studies on contemporary Spain
- Machine generated contents note: The Spanish Right and the JAP after 1931 -- The JAP until October 1934 -- The JAP from October 1934 to December 1935 -- The JAP from December 1935 to February 1936 -- The JAP from February to July 1936 -- The JAP from July to December 1936 -- The JAP at war until April 1937 -- The JAP, the Right and Fascism from 1931 to 1937.
- Spain's first democracy was announced to popular jubilation in April 1931, a new dawn ushered in without a single shot being fired. Yet just over five years later the country was plunged into a brutal civil war that bequeathed hundreds of thousands of deaths and an authoritarian dictatorship under General Francisco Franco that lasted almost forty years. Catholicism, War and the Foundation of Francosim analyses Spain's dramatic political shift, reassessing the role of the right as it mobilised against the Second Republic, swinging from ostensibly "moderate" Catholic conservatism to fascist violence. By providing the first detailed study of the uniformed, paramilitary Juventud de Acci=n Popular (JAP), Sid Lowe challenges the historiographical orthodoxy on Spanish fascism and assumptions about the role of the hegemonic right-wing party during the Republican years, JosT Maria Gil Robles's CEDA. Drawing on a wide range of previously uncovered primary material, he demonstrates that much of the parliamentary right, its leadership included, abandoned the legal road to power when it could no longer use democracy as a Trojan Horse with which to conquer the state. It throws vital new light on the conspiracy to destroy the Republic, the Nationalist war effort, the creation of the new state, and the true social and political origins of the Franco rTgime. --Book Jacket.
- Church and state -- Spain -- History. (LCSH)
- Spaanse burgeroorlog (gtt)
- Politieke macht (gtt)
- Kerk (gtt)
- Iglesia y Estado -- España -- 1931-1939. (embne)
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Religious aspects. (LCSH)
- Spain -- History -- Republic, 1931-1939. (LCSH)
- Spain -- Politics and government -- 1931-1939. (LCSH)
- Spanje (gtt)
- España -- Historia -- 1931-1939 (II República) (embne)
- Juventud de Acción Popular (Spain) -- History.
- Catholic Church -- Spain -- History -- 20th century.
- Juventud de Accion Popular (España)
- DP269.8.R4 (LCC)
- s1ht (ämneskategori)
- s2sp (ämneskategori)
- 946.081/1 (DDC)
- 15.70 (bcl)
- Kk (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.