Spaces of justice in the Roman world / edited by Francesco de Angelis.
De Angelis, Francesco (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 978-90-04-18925-6 (hardback alk paper)
- Leiden, The Netherlands ; Brill, 2010.
- Engelska xii, 434 p.
Serie: Columbia studies in the classical tradition, 0166-1302 ; 35
- Ius and space : an introduction / Francesco de Angelis -- Civil procedure in classical Rome : having an audience with the magistrate / Ernest Metzger -- A place for jurists in the spaces of justice? / Kaius Tuori -- Finding a place for law in the High Empire : Tacitus, Dialogus 39.1-4 / Bruce Frier -- The urban Praetor's Tribunal in the Roman Republic / Eric Kondratieff -- The emperor's justice and its spaces in Rome and Italy / Francesco de Angelis -- The forum of Augustus in Rome : law and order in sacred spaces / Richard Neudecker -- What was the Forum Iulium used for? : the Fiscus and its jurisdiction in first-century Rome / Marco Maiuro -- A relief, some letters and the Centumviral Court / Leanne Bablitz -- Spaces of justice in Roman Egypt / Livia Capponi -- The setting and staging of Christian trials / Jean-Jacques Aubert -- Kangaroo courts : displaced justice in the Roman novel / John Bodel -- Chronotopes of justice in the Greek novel : trials in narrative spaces / Saundra Schwartz.
- Despite the crucial role played by both law and architecture in Roman culture, the Romans never developed a type of building that was specifically and exclusively reserved for the administration of justice: courthouses did not exist in Roman antiquity. The present volume addresses this paradox by investigating the spatial settings of Roman judicial practices from a variety of perspectives. Scholars of law, topography, architecture, political history, and literature concur in putting Roman judicature back into its concrete physical context, exploring how the exercise of law interacted with the environment in which it took place, and how the spaces that arose from this interaction were perceived by the ancients themselves. The result is a fresh view on a key aspect of Roman culture.
- Architecture and society -- Rome. (LCSH)
- Arkitektur och samhälle -- historia (sao)
- Arkitektur -- politiska aspekter (sao)
- Architecture and state -- Rome. (LCSH)
- Architecture -- Political aspects -- Rome. (LCSH)
- Culture and law -- Rome. (LCSH)
- Romerska riket
- NA2543.S6 (LCC)
- 306.250937 (DDC)
- 306.2/50937 (DDC)
- Oc:oa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit