Globalizing concern for women's human rights : the failure of the American model / Diana G. Zoelle.
Zoelle, Diana Grace. (författare)
- ISBN 0-312-22285-8 (cloth)
- New York : St. Martin's Press, c2000.
- Engelska xiii, 169 p.
- Chapter 1 "Ain't I a Human?": U.S. Civil Rights Legislation as an Inadequate Remedy to Violations of Women's Human Rights 9 -- Chapter 2 Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women: Radical Notions of Human Being? 31 -- Chapter 3 Globalizing Concern for Women's Human Rights: Reconceiving the Terms of the Discourse 53 -- Chapter 4 International Human Rights and American Foreign Policy: The Schizophrenic State 73 -- Chapter 5 Injustice of Equality: Women, International Human Rights, and Liberal Democracy in America 101 -- Appendix International Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women 125.
- "This study is a gender-sensitive examination of specific dynamics and characteristics inherent to the sociopolitical, economic, and legal systems of the United States that have precluded incorporation of the rights of women on an equal basis with the rights of men. The interaction of these dynamics and characteristics describes a uniquely American view that serves to render the U.S. system troublesome as an exemplar for state incorporation of the human rights of women. Unreserved ratification of CEDAW would constitute a strong effort to protect the human rights of women, yet the United States has failed to support this. This study is a critique of the institutional structures and cultural dynamics that pose obstructions to U.S. ratification."--BOOK JACKET.
- Women's rights -- Government policy -- United States. (LCSH)
- Human rights -- Government policy -- United States. (LCSH)
- Women's rights -- International cooperation. (LCSH)
- Human rights -- International cooperation. (LCSH)
- United Nations. Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women.
- HQ1236.5.U6 (LCC)
- 323.3/4 (DDC)
- Oc.01 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Raoul Wallenberginstitutets bibliotek (Lrwi)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.