Midnight rising : John Brown and the raid that sparked the Civil War / Tony Horwitz.
Horwitz, Tony, 1958- (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-8050-9153-3
- 1st ed.
- New York : Henry Holt and Co., 2011.
- Engelska xii, 365 p.
- Prologue: October 16, 1859 -- pt. 1. The road to Harpers Ferry -- School of adversity -- I consecrate my life -- A warlike spirit -- First blood -- Secret service -- This spark of fire -- pt. 2. Into Africa -- My invisibles -- Into the breach -- I am nearly disposed of now -- pt. 3. They will Brown us all -- His despised poor -- A full fountain of bedlam -- So let it be done -- Dissevering the ties that bind us -- Epilogue: Immortal raiders.
- In this book the author tells the tale of the daring insurrection that put America on the path to bloody war. Plotted in secret, launched in the dark, John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry was a pivotal moment in U.S. history. But few Americans know the true story of the men and women who launched a desperate strike at the slaveholding South. Now, this work portrays Brown's uprising revealing a country on the brink of explosive conflict. Brown, the descendant of New England Puritans, saw slavery as a sin against America's founding principles. Unlike most abolitionists, he was willing to take up arms, and in 1859 he prepared for battle at a hideout in Maryland, joined by his teenage daughter, three of his sons, and a guerrilla band that included former slaves and a spy. On October 17, the raiders seized Harpers Ferry, stunning the nation and prompting a counterattack led by Robert E. Lee. After Brown's capture, his defiant eloquence galvanized the North and appalled the South, which considered Brown a terrorist. The raid also helped elect Abraham Lincoln, who later began to fulfill Brown's dream with the Emancipation Proclamation, a measure he called "a John Brown raid, on a gigantic scale." This book travels antebellum America to deliver both a historical drama and a telling portrait of a nation divided, a time that still resonates in ours.
- Abolitionists -- United States -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Harpers Ferry (W. Va.) -- History -- John Brown's Raid, 1859. (LCSH)
- Brown, John, 1800-1859.
- E451 (LCC)
- 973.7/116 (DDC)
- Kqa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.