An Introduction to Star Formation / Derek Ward-Thompson, Anthony P. Whitworth
Ward-Thompson, Derek, 1962- (author)
Whitworth, Anthony P. (author)
- ISBN 978-0-521-63030-6 (hardback)
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2011
- Engelska xx, 208 s.
- Relaterad länk:
http://assets.cambri... (Cover image)
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Probing star formation -- 3. The ISM: the beginnings of star formation -- 4. Molecular clouds: the sites of star formation -- 5. Fragmentation and collapse: the road to star formation -- 6. Young stars, protostars and accretion: building a typical star -- 7. The formation of high-mass stars, and their surroundings -- 8. By-products and consequences of star formation.
- "Guiding the reader through all the stages that lead to the formation of a star such as our Sun, this is the first advanced textbook to provide students with a complete overview of star formation. It examines the underlying physical processes that govern the evolution from a molecular cloud core to a main-sequence star, and focuses on the formation of solar-mass stars. Each chapter combines theory and observation, helping readers to connect with and understand the theory behind star formation. Beginning with an explanation of the interstellar medium and molecular clouds as sites of star formation, subsequent chapters address the building of typical stars and the formation of high-mass stars, concluding with a discussion of the by-products and consequences of star formation. This is a unique, self-contained text with sufficient background information for self-study, and is ideal for students and professional researchers alike"--
- Stars -- Formation (LCSH)
- QB806 (LCC)
- 523.8/8 (DDC)
- SCI005000 (bisacsh)
- Uac (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit