Mega-projects : the changing politics of urban public investment / Alan Altshuler, David Luberoff.
Altshuler, Alan A., 1936- (författare)
Luberoff, David. (författare)
Lincoln Institute of Land Policy.
- ISBN 0-8157-0128-4 (cloth alk paper)
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press ; c2003.
- Engelska ix, 339 p.
- Introduction -- Overview: four political eras -- Mega-projects and urban theory -- The new politics of highways -- Building new airports and expanding older ones -- The political rebirth of rail transit -- Common patterns -- Urban theory redux -- What next?.
- "In Mega-Projects Alan Altshuler and David Luberoff analyze the unprecedented wave of large-scale (mega-) public investments that occurred in American cities during the 1950s and 1960s; the social upheavals they triggered, which derailed large numbers of projects during the late 1960s and early 1970s; and the political impulses that have shaped a new generation of urban mega-projects in the decades since. They also appraise the most important consequences of policy shifts over this half-century and draw out common themes from the rich variety of programmatic and project developments that they chronicle." "In comparing their findings with leading theories of urban and American politics, Altshuler and Luberoff arrive at some surprising findings about which perform best and also reveal some important gaps in the literature as a whole. In a concluding chapter, they examine the potential effects of new fiscal pressures, business mobilization to relax environmental constraints, and security concerns in the wake of September 11. And they make clear their own views about how best to achieve a balance between developmental, environmental, and democratic values in public investment decisionmaking."--BOOK JACKET.
- Community development, Urban -- United States. (LCSH)
- Community development, Urban -- United States -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Urban policy -- United States. (LCSH)
- Urban policy -- United States -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- 307.14160973 (DDC)
- Odgd (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit