The EU's dirty hands : Frontex involvement in ill-treatment of migrant detainees in Greece/ [Itamar Mann]
Mann, Itamar. (författare)
Human Rights Watch (utgivare)
- ISBN 1-56432-812-0
- New York, NY, USA : Human Rights Watch, c2011.
- Engelska 58 p.
Läs hela texten (Fulltext)
- Summary -- Key Recommendations -- To the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union -- To Participating European States -- To the Frontex Management Board -- To Greece -- Methodology and Scope -- I. Background: Frontex -- History -- Legal Authority -- Cooperation with Other EU Agencies -- II. Protection Crisis in Greece -- The Making of an Emergency -- Preparing for the RABIT Deployment -- RABIT 2010 -- Greece Criticized -- The Committee for the Prevention of Torture -- The EU Fundamental Rights Agency -- Frontex Attempts to Reduce Violations in Detention -- III. Inhuman and Degrading Detention Conditions -- Detention Conditions -- Fylakio -- Tychero -- Feres -- Soufli -- Access to Asylum -- IV. Frontex's Enforcement Role in Greece -- Apprehensions -- Nationality-Determination Interviews -- V. Frontex's Responsibility for Exposing Migrants to Inhuman and Degrading Treatment -- Transferring Migrants to Known Abusive Conditions of Detention -- The consequences of FRONTEX suspension of activities in Greece -- VI. The Fragmentation of EU Responsibilities -- Member State Responsibility -- Frontex and Greek Responsibility -- Recommendations -- To the European Commission, the European Parliament, and the European Council -- To Participating European States -- To the Frontex Management Board -- Ensuring that Operations are Consistent with Human Rights Obligations -- Accountability -- Risk Analysis -- Training in Human Rights -- To Greece -- To the Fundamental Rights Agency -- To the European Asylum Support Office (EASO) -- Acknowledgements.
- "In November 2010, the European Union's (EU) agency for the management of operational cooperation at external borders, Frontex, began providing Greece with manpower and material support to patrol its borders along the Evros River with Turkey. This report assesses Frontex's involvement in, and responsibility for, exposing migrants detained by border patrols to inhuman and degrading conditions of detention in Greece's overcrowded migrant detention centers in northeastern Greece. Frontex deployed 175 border guards, chosen from a pool provided by participating European states as part of a rapid border intervention team (RABIT). During the four months examined in this report, RABIT patrols regularly apprehended migrants and took them, sometimes in buses provided by Frontex, to the detention centers. RABIT has been replaced by a permanent Frontex presence. During the RABIT deployment, the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) issued a judgment, M.S.S. v. Belgium and Greece, which found that conditions in Greek migrant detention centers were inhuman and degrading and that Belgium violated its human rights obligations by knowingly exposing an Afghan asylum seeker to inhuman and degrading treatment when it transferred him back to Greece. In the course of the RABIT mission in Greece, Frontex also facilitated the transfer of migrants to centers of detention within Greece where Human Rights Watch documented the same inhuman and degrading conditions. Human Rights Watch contends that Frontex is similarly responsible for having knowingly exposed migrants to treatment which is absolutely prohibited under human rights law. This report argues that Frontex should immediately make its engagement in border enforcement operations in Greece contingent on the placement of apprehended migrants in facilities with decent conditions either by transferring them to other areas of Greece where detention standards meet human rights requirements or by making detention spaces available in other places in the EU where conditions meet international and EU standards."--P.  of cover.
- Immigrants -- Abuse of -- Greece. (LCSH)
- Detention of persons -- Greece. (LCSH)
- Human rights -- Greece. (LCSH)
- Asylum, Right of -- Greece. (LCSH)
- Border security -- Greece. (LCSH)
- Asylrätt -- Grekland (sao)
- Mänskliga rättigheter -- Grekland (sao)
- FRONTEX (Organization)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.