Egypt's hybrid revolution : a bolder EU approach / Anthony Dworkin, Daniel Korski, and Nick Witney.
Dworkin, Anthony. (författare)
Korski, Daniel. (författare)
Witney, Nick. (författare)
European Council on Foreign Relations (utgivare)
- ISBN 978-1-906538-31-6
- London, U.K. : European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), 
- Engelska  p.
Serie: Policy brief / European Council on Foreign Relations
Läs hela texten (Fritt tillgänglig via ECFR)
- The success or failure of Egypt's transition to democracy will have huge consequences for the Middle East and for Europe. If the country overcomes the obstacles to political reform, it would set a powerful example for the region. But although the ruling Military Council appears committed to hand over power, it is governing in an opaque way and has resorted to summary justice to deal with protest and criticism. Some liberals also worry that the quick timetable for elections will favour the remnants of the old regime and the Muslim Brotherhood. The revolution has also exacerbated the precarious state of the country's economy. Despite Egypt's importance, however, the EU has struggled to achieve influence in the country. In March Ashton and Barroso proposed a new policy framework, which is a good start but should be strengthened, for example, by cancelling Egyptian debt. In the longer term, the EU should take a more political approach and behave like a regional power. For example, European should say clearly that military leaders who resort to summary justice to deal with protest and criticism are violating fundamental political rights. EU officials must also be ready to engage with all Egypt's political groups, including former NDP members and the Muslim Brotherhood. Europe needs to move beyond fear about migration to see the potential for longer-term economic benefits for both sides of the Mediterranean.
- EU -- foreign policy -- Egypt (sipri)
- Political rights -- Egypt. (LCSH)
- Interim governments -- Egypt. (LCSH)
- European Union countries -- Foreign relations -- Egypt. (LCSH)
- Egypt -- Foreign relations -- European Union countries. (LCSH)
- Egypt -- political reforms (sipri)
- Egypt -- Social conditions. (LCSH)
- JZ1570.A57 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
SIPRI Library and Documentation Department, Biblioteket (Sipr)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: 327ser European