Towards an EU human rights strategy for a post-Western world / Susi Dennison and Anthony Dworkin.
Dennison, Susi. (författare)
Dworkin, Anthony. (författare)
European Council on Foreign Relations (utgivare)
- ISBN 978-1-906538-22-4
- London, U.K. : European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), c2010.
- Engelska 16 p.
Serie: Policy brief / European Council on Foreign Relations
Läs hela texten
- In 'Towards an EU human rights strategy for a post-Western world', Anthony Dworkin and Susi Dennison argue that: After the Cold War ended, history seemed on the side of European values such as democracy and human rights. But now, with authoritarian capitalism offering another route to prosperity, our credibility and soft power have fallen. Developing nations can turn elsewhere for trade & aid--for example China has replaced the EU as Sri Lanka's biggest trade & aid partner, with deep pockets and fewer strings attached. We now need a post-Western strategy to counter this collapse in soft power and the resistance the world has against being lectured by us about our values. This is not about altruism but creating stable and willing partners in areas like trade, climate change, energy and immigration. Europe needs to re-engage in a battle of ideas over our values, looking for achievable goals with more sensitivity to local needs and conditions--for instance Russian entrepreneurs who want a stronger rule of law, and Chinese campaigners against the death penalty.--Publisher description.
- Human rights -- Government policy -- European Union countries. (LCSH)
- Democracy -- Government policy -- European Union countries. (LCSH)
- human rights -- Eu (sipri)
- Democratization -- Government policy -- European Union countries. (LCSH)
- European Union countries -- Foreign relations. (LCSH)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
SIPRI Library and Documentation Department, Biblioteket (Sipr)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: 327ser European