On the merging of uniform shear flows at a trailing edge
Hakkinen, R. J.
O'Neil, Elizabeth J.
DOUGLAS AIRCRAFT CO INC SANTA MONICA CALIF.
- Ft. Belvoir Defense Technical Information Center APR 1967
- Engelska 43 p.
- The merging of two uniform, infinite, incompressible shear flows downstream of the trailing edge of a semi-infinite flat plate is studied by means of an asymptotic inner-outer expansion procedure applied to the Naviet-Stokes equations. The flow field is divided into three regions; an outer flow, where inertia effects dominate and vorticity is primarily convected along streamlines; a wake, where inertia and viscous effects are of the same order and vorticity is diffused across streamlines; and a second-order vorticity-diffusing layer along the plate, generated by the upstream effect of the wake. The expansions appropriate to each region match term by term in the overlap regions; however, coefficients are determined numerically only to the third and fifth orders, in the inner and outer regions, respectively. The results indicate the existence of an induced pressure field. The significance of the study in relation to the merging of two laminar boundary layers at a trailing edge is evaluated. (Author).
- Fluid Mechanics. (scgdst)
- Trailing edges. (dtict)
- Flow fields. (dtict)
- Interactions. (dtict)
- Shear stresses. (dtict)
- Vortices. (dtict)
- Incompressible flow. (dtict)
- Flat plate models. (dtict)
- Wake. (dtict)
- Laminar boundary layer. (dtict)
- Skin friction. (dtict)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- SHEAR FLOW
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Kungliga Tekniska högskolans bibliotek, KTH Biblioteket, Huvudbiblioteket (T)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalogTillgänglighet för KTH Biblioteket
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Flygrapportsamlingen Douglas Aircraft Company(DAC)
Bestånd: 1 ex.