God's almost chosen peoples : a religious history of the American Civil War / George C. Rable.
Rable, George C. (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-8078-3426-8 (cloth alk paper)
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2010.
- Engelska 586 p.
Serie: The Littlefield history of the Civil War era
- Crises of faith -- Reaping the whirlwind -- Holy war -- Fighting for God and country -- Temptations of the camp -- The shepherds and their sheep -- Christian soldiers -- The God of battles -- Carnage -- War's purpose -- The Lord's work -- Testing faith -- Declension -- Wrath -- Jubilo -- Armies of the Lord -- War comes to the churches -- Citizens, saints, and soldiers -- Thanksgiving and desperation -- The final decrees of providence.
- Throughout the Civil War, soldiers and civilians on both sides of the conflict saw the hand of God in the terrible events of the day, but the standard narratives of the period pay scant attention to religion. Now, in God's Almost Chosen Peoples, Lincoln Prize-winning historian George C. Rable offers a groundbreaking account of how Americans of all political and religious persuasions used faith to interpret the course of the war. Examining a wide range of published and unpublished documents--including sermons, official statements from various churches, denominational papers and periodicals, and letters, diaries, and newspaper articles--Rable illuminates the broad role of religion during the Civil War, giving attention to often-neglected groups such as Mormons, Catholics, blacks, and people from the Trans-Mississippi region. The book underscores religion's presence in the everyday lives of Americans north and south struggling to understand the meaning of the conflict, from the tragedy of individual death to victory and defeat in battle and even the ultimate outcome of the war. Rable shows that themes of providence, sin, and judgment pervaded both public and private writings about the conflict. Perhaps most important, this volume--the only comprehensive religious history of the war--highlights the resilience of religious faith in the face of political and military storms the likes of which Americans had never before endured. - Publisher.
- Amerikanska inbördeskriget 1861-1865 -- religiösa aspekter (sao)
- Förenta staterna -- historia -- religiösa aspekter -- 1800-talet (sao)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Religious aspects. (LCSH)
- United States -- Religion -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- E635 (LCC)
- 973.778 (DDC)
- Kqa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit