Military modernization and the Russian ground forces / Rod Thornton
Thornton, Rod (författare)
- Army War College (U.S.). Strategic Studies Institute (utgivare)
Alternativt namn: Army War College. Strategic Studies Institute
Alternativt namn: Strategic Studies Institute
Alternativt namn: SSI
- ISBN 978-1-58487-492-8
- Carlisle, PA : Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army War College, 2011
- Engelska vii, 56 s.
Läs hela texten
- Introduction -- History of post-Soviet military reform -- Putin advances reforms -- The war with Georgia -- New command structures -- The failure of professionalization -- Education and training -- Equipment -- The modernization process -- conclusion.
- This monograph examines the recent process of organizational change in the Russian ground forces. It begins by charting the whole post-Soviet military reform debate. This debate was dominated, on the one hand, by those seeking to make the armed forces more professional, flexible, and adroit -- and thus better suited to the security demands of a major 21st-century power -- and, on the other hand, by senior military figures wedded to the concepts of mass and a conscript based military. It was actually only after the war with Georgia in 2008, and when military opposition was weakened, that change within the ground forces could begin in earnest. New command tiers were established, divisions became brigades, and the idea of absorbing professional soldiers into the ground forces was refined. The problems of generating a suitable corps of non-commissioned officers, of training suitable officers, and of marrying equipment to strategic need are all issues covered here. This work concludes with the thought that even though the changes being introduced in the ground forces look dramatic, they cannot be implemented overnight. The road towards fundamental change where Russia's ground forces are concerned will be quite a long one.
- Military transformation.
- Russia (Federation) -- Armed Forces -- Reorganization. (LCSH)
- Russia -- armed forces -- restructuring -- modernization -- force structure -- military reforms (sipri)
- U413.A66 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit