Virus alert : security, governmentality, and the AIDS pandemic / Stefan Elbe.
Elbe, Stefan, 1975- (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-231-14868-9 (cloth alk paper)
- New York : Columbia University Press, c2009.
- Engelska xii, 210 p.
- Viruses, health, and international security -- A noble lie? Examining the evidence on AIDS and security -- Security in the era of governmentality : AIDS and the rise of health security -- National security : sovereignty, medicine and the securitization of AIDS -- Human security : discipline, healthy bodies, and the global curing machine -- Risk and security : government, military risk groups, and population triage -- The power of AIDS : responding to the governmentalization of security.
- "Bound up with the human cost of HIV/AIDS is the critical issue of its impact on national and international security, yet attempts to assess the pandemic's complex risk fail to recognize the political dangers of construing the disease as a security threat. In his analysis of the security implications of HIV/AIDS, Stefan Elbe addresses three concerns: the empirical evidence that justifies framing HIV/AIDS as a security issue, the meaning of the term "security" when used in relation to the disease, and the political consequences of responding to the AIDS pandemic in the language of security. His book exposes the dangers that accompany efforts to manage the global spread of HIV/AIDS through the policy frameworks of national security, human security, and risk management."--BOOK JACKET.
- Security, International. (LCSH)
- National security. (LCSH)
- AIDS (Disease) -- Political aspects. (LCSH)
- JZ6005 (LCC)
- 355/.033 (DDC)
- S (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit