A new way forward [electronic resource] : rebalancing security assistance programs and authorities / Gordon Adams, Rebecca Williams.
Adams, Gordon, 1941- (författare)
Williams, Rebecca (författare)
- Henry L. Stimson Center (utgivare)
Alternativt namn: Stimson Center
- Washington, DC : Henry L. Stimson Center, c2011.
- Engelska 1 online resource (46 p.)
Läs hela texten (Fritt tillgänglig via Stimson Center)
- Abbreviations and Acronyms -- Acknowledgements -- Executive Summary -- List of Recommendations -- Background -- The Future of Security Assistance -- Defining Security Assistance -- Findings -- The Challenges of Bringing Rationality to the US Security Assistance Architecture -- The Current Status of Security Assistance Options -- The Framework for Security Assistance Reform -- Security Framework -- Governance Framework -- Recommendations: Structure and Implementation in a Governance Context -- Legislative Responsibilities for Authorities and Funding -- Executive Branch Responsibilities for Program Architecture and Implementation -- The Transition to a Restructured Security Assistance Program -- Appendices -- Appendix I: Definition and Accounts for Security Assistance -- Appendix II: Key Question Set for Restructuring the Security Assistance Architecture -- Appendix III: US Assistance to Partner Militaries, Funded Out of Foreign Military Financing and Section 1206 Authority -- About the Authors.
- As the Arab world struggles to emerge from oppressive, generations-old autocracies, America's robust program to train and equip foreign militaries has become a focus of attention. The impact of US security assistance to the region is ambiguous, at best. Providing military equipment and training has helped keep autocrats in power but may have also provided us with a vital communication link to the Egyptian military as the crisis evolved in that country. This report argues that US security assistance programs are now at a turning point, given the drawdown of US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan and the events in the Middle East, and that now is the time to reevaluate the purposes of such assistance and the framework which has defined them for the past six decades. The report proposes that the expansion of security assistance programs at DOD be reversed and that future programs be focused in a broader goal of governance. The report provides a list of guiding principles for rebalancing US security assistance programs, recommendations for the executive and legislative branches, and a transition strategy.
- Military assistance, American -- Government policy -- United States. (LCSH)
- United States -- Foreign relations. (LCSH)
- United States -- Military policy. (LCSH)
- USA -- foreign policy -- security (sipri)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Security assistance
- KF4670.M54 (LCC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
SIPRI Library and Documentation Department, Biblioteket (Sipr)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Fri e-publikation