Marginality and continuity : the archaeology of the northern Ozarks / by Steven R. Ahler, Paul P. Kreisa and Richard Edging.
Ahler, Steven R. (författare)
Kreisa, Paul P. (författare)
Edging, Richard. (författare)
Missory Archaeological Society (utgivare)
- Springfield, Mo. (Missouri State University, 901 S. National, Springfield 65897) : Missouri Archaeological Society, 2010.
- Engelska xv, 319 p.
Serie: Special publication / Missouri Archaeological Society, 0735-5467 ; no. 9
- Perceptions of Ozark marginality in the present and past -- Methodological and theoretical considerations -- Environmental setting -- Perspectives on culture history -- Paleoindian and initial settlement -- The Archaic : regional expressions of cultural traditions -- Continuity in occupation : the Early Woodland period -- Regional contrasts in the Middle Woodland period -- Transformation and tradition in the Late Woodland period -- Final considerations of marginality and continuity.
- The concepts of core, periphery, and margin are employed by the authors to model similarities/differences and changing relations between people living in the northern Ozarks and contemporary peoples living in adjacent regions, but particularly the Mississippi and lower Illinois valleys to the east. Cultural cores are typically those exhibiting the highest level of social, political, economic, technological, ideological, and aesthetic development. For the prehistoric past in the midcontinent, Middle Woodland Havana-Hopewell of the lower Illinois valley and the Mississippian polity of Cahokia in the American Bottom area come readily to mind as cultural cores. The authors argue that the northern Ozarks was on the margin of these cores, whereas the area was occupied at other times by people well within the mainstream of cultural development. -- From Foreword (p. xiii).
- Indians of North America -- Missouri -- Gasconade River Watershed -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Indians of North America -- Missouri -- Fort Leonard Wood -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Indians of North America -- Missouri -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Indians of North America -- Ozark Mountains Region -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Missouri -- Gasconade River Watershed. (LCSH)
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Missouri -- Fort Leonard Wood. (LCSH)
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Missouri. (LCSH)
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Ozark Mountains Region. (LCSH)
- Gasconade River Watershed (Mo.) -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Fort Leonard Wood (Mo.) -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Missouri -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
- Ozark Mountains Region -- Antiquities. (LCSH)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit