Running out of water : the looming crisis and solutions to conserve our most precious resource / Peter Rogers and Susan Leal.
Rogers, Peter. (författare)
Leal, Susan. (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-230-61564-9 (hardback)
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Engelska 245 p.
- "While many believe that water is a renewable resource that will never go away, the truth is that the availability of this essential element is declining. Global warming creates moonscapes where there were once snow-packed mountains. Population growth has pushed demand, straining our current supply--almost ensuring that water will become as coveted as oil in the twenty-first century. As the water supply declines, there are critical questions to answer: Can we learn to conserve? Can we find ways to renew this resource? Do we have the political will to act wisely before it is too late? Peter Rogers and Susan Leal are experts with decades of experience dealing with the conservation and protection of water. Through the use of case studies, or "success stories," Rogers and Leal explain in accessible terms the scientific, economic, and political aspects of the issue. They offer a comprehensive look at the crisis--from the West Coast, where mighty rivers are being diverted for California's agriculture--to the Gulf Coast of Florida, where snowbird retreats are straining natural resources--to traditionally thirsty parts of the world, like southern India, where water is available but infrastructure to deliver it is limited or nonexistent. Focusing on solutions, Running Out of Water lays out the political leadership, policy action and technology tools required to sustain our water supplies"--Provided by publisher.
- Water conservation. (LCSH)
- Water-supply. (LCSH)
- TD388 (LCC)
- 363.6/1 (DDC)
- Ppda (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit