Little Liberia : an African odyssey in New York City / Jonny Steinberg.
Steinberg, Jonny, 1970- (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-224-08566-3
- London : Jonathan Cape, 2011.
- Engelska 286 p.
- "In his latest book, Little Liberia: An African Odyssey in New York, Steinberg takes us to Park Hill Avenue on Staten Island, where a community of Liberians have made their home. Through interviews and shadowing of two community leaders, Steinberg strives to understand the peculiarities of this community; while it appears at times as if a piece of Liberia has been sliced off and dropped in New York, the Park Hill community is ravaged by conflict between different interest groups. To understand what is going on in 2008 New York, Steinberg travels back - back to Liberia and back to the country's tragic recent history of civil war, military coups and mass exterminations. The story of Liberia is a gruesome and miserable one but Steinberg's empathy for his subjects never allows the narrative to descend into voyeurism. The combination of hard nosed investigative journalism, a gift for storytelling and an obvious empathy for the characters that he shadows makes Steinberg an author who demands to be read, whatever the subject matter. A brilliant and important book which will delight Steinberg's thousands of followers and doubtless earn him many more"--Book Lounge.
- Liberian Americans -- New York (State) -- New York -- Social conditions. (LCSH)
- Liberia -- History -- 1980- (LCSH)
- E (LCC)
- 305.89666207471 (DDC)
- Mp (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit