Christianity, sexuality and citizenship in Africa / edited by Adriaan van Klinken, Ebenezer Obadare.
Van Klinken, A. S. (editor.)
Obadare, Ebenezer (editor.)
- ISBN 9780367141523
- Publicerad: London : Routledge, 2018
- Engelska 115 pages
- 1. Christianity, sexuality and citizenship in Africa: critical intersections / Adriaan van Klinken and Ebenezer Obadare -- 2. Masculinity, sexual citizenship and religion in post-apartheid South Africa: a field-theoretical approach / Marian Burchardt -- 3. Pentecostal intimacies: women and intimate citizenship in the ministry of repentance and holiness in Kenya / Damaris Parsitau and Adriaan van Klinken -- 4. The Charismatic porn-star: social citizenship and the West-African Pentecostal erotic / Ebenezer Obadare -- 5. The fantastic fetus: the fetus as a super-citizen in Ghanaian Pentecostalism / Nathanael Homewood -- 6. Pentecostal Apocalypticism: hate speech, contested citizenship, and religious discourses on same-sex relations in Nigeria / Asonzeh Ukah 7. Citizenship of Love: The Politics, Ethics and Aesthetics of Sexual Citizenship in a Kenyan Gay Music Video / Adriaan van Klinken.
- "This book explores the interconnections between Christianity, sexuality and citizenship in sub-Saharan Africa, chronicling the ways in which citizenship in the region has undergone profound changes in recent decades as a result of growing interaction between Christianity and politics, the impact of the HIV epidemic, debates about women's reproductive rights, and the growing visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities. Case studies examine the emergence of Christianity, especially in its Pentecostal-Charismatic forms, as a public religion, and how this emergence has meant that Christian actors, beliefs and practices have increasingly come to manifest themselves in the public sphere. The contributors assess how many political and religious leaders are invested in a popular ideology of the heterosexual family as the basis of nation-building, and how this defines narratives of nationhood and shapes notions of citizenship. Additional case studies focus on the emergence of sexuality as a critical site of citizenship and nationhood in postcolonial Africa, and address the difficulties that LGBT communities face in claiming recognition from the state. Offering case studies from across sub-Saharan Africa and spanning several academic disciplines and critical perspectives, this book will be of interest to researchers seeking to understand the complex intersections of religion, sexuality, politics and citizenship across the region."
- Sex -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (LCSH)
- Sexual minorities -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. (LCSH)
- Christianity and culture -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. (LCSH)
- Citizenship -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (LCSH)
- Christianity and culture. (fast)
- Sexual minorities. (fast)
- Sex -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (fast)
- Africa, Sub-Saharan. (fast)
- 241.660968 (DDC)
- Cf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit