Gothic cinema / Xavier Aldana Reyes.
Aldana Reyes, Xavier (author.)
- ISBN 9781138227552
- Publicerad: London ; New York : Routledge, 2020
- Engelska 256 pages
Serie: Routledge film guidebooks
- Introduction: what Is Gothic Cinema? -- Transitional origins -- Monstrous shadows -- Franchise Gothic -- The supernatural explained -- Gothic in technicolor -- Exploitation Gothic -- Gothic Dispersion.
- "Arguing for the need to understand Gothic cinema as an aesthetic mode, this book explores its long history, from its transitional origins in phantasmagoria shows and the first 'trick' films to its postmodern fragmentation in the Gothic pastiches of Tim Burton. But what is Gothic cinema and when did it begin? Is the iconography of the Gothic film the same, or equivalent to, that of the horror genre? Are the literary origins of the Gothic what solidified its aesthetics? And exactly what cultural roles does the Gothic continue to perform for us today? Gothic Cinema covers topics such as the chiaroscuro experiments of early German cinema, the monster cinema of the 1930s, the rise of the supernatural explained in the old dark house mystery films of the 1920s and the Female Gothics of the 1940s, the introduction of colour photography in the period Gothics of the late 1950s, the European exploitation booms of the 1960s and 1970s, and the animated films and Gothic superheroes that dominate present times. Throughout, Aldana Reyes makes a strong case for a tighter and more intuitive approach to the Gothic on screen that acknowledges its position within wider film industries with their own sets of financial pressures and priorities. This ground-breaking book is the first thorough chronological, transhistorical and transnational study of Gothic cinema, ideal for both new and seasoned scholars, as well as those with a wider interest in the Gothic"--
- Horror films -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Skräckfilm -- historia (sao)
- PN1995.9.H6 (LCC)
- 791.43/616409 (DDC)
- Imbae (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit