Literary currents and romantic forms : essays in memory of Bryan Reardon / edited by Kathryn Chew, J.R. Morgan, Stephen M. Trzaskoma.
Chew, Kathryn (editor.)
Morgan, J. R. (John Robert), 1950- (editor.)
Trzaskoma, Stephen (editor.)
Reardon, Bryan (dedicatee.)
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen. Universiteitsbibliotheek (publisher.)
- ISBN 9789492444875
- Publicerad: Groningen : Barkhuis & Groningen University Library, 2018
- Engelska xxi, 358 pages
Serie: Ancient narrative. Supplementum ; 26.
- Bryan Reardon (1928-2009) was one of the most important and influential figures in the revival of scholarly interest in the Greek novel and ancient fiction in the last quarter of the twentieth century. His organisation of the first International Conference on the Ancient Novel (ICAN) at Bangor, North Wales, in 1976 was a landmark in the field and an inspiration to the organisers of subsequent ICANs, from which Ancient Narrative itself sprang. As editor of Collected Ancient Greek Novels (University of California Press 1989; second edition 2008), he made the Greek novels accessible to a wider readership and won a place for them in university syllabuses across the English-speaking world.00This volume contains twenty essays by leading scholars of ancient fiction, who were all pupils, colleagues or close friends of Bryan Reardon, in memory of his scholarship, energy, guidance and humanity. They cover a range of topics including ancient literary theory and the conceptualisation of fiction, discussion of individual novels (Chariton, Longus, Iamblichus, Achilles Tatius, and Apuleius) and novelistic texts (a papyrus fragment of a lost novel, and Philostratus' Life of Apollonius), the afterlife of the ancient novel (in a Renaissance commentary on Roman law, in a seventeenth-century essay on the origin of the novel, and in a seventeenth-century series of paintings in a French château), and a speculative reconstruction of the morning after the end of Heliodorus' novel. The title of the volume commemorates two of Bryan Reardon's most important books: Courants littéraires grecs des IIe et IIIe siècles après J.-C. (Paris 1971) and The Form of Greek Romance (Princeton 1991); and the photograph of Aphrodisias on the front cover is a tribute to his critical edition of Chariton (2004).
- Antik litteratur (sao)
- Literature, Ancient. (LCSH)
- Classical fiction -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Classical fiction. (fast)
- Literature, Ancient. (fast)
- Classical literature (LCSH)
- Analys och tolkning (saogf)
- Essäer (saogf)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
- PA3040 (LCC)
- 883.0109 (DDC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit