Ciribuco, Andrea: Emanuel Carnevali's cultural translation
The autobiography of a language : Emanuel Carnevali's Italian/American writing / Andrea Ciribuco.
Ciribuco, Andrea, 1986- (författare)
- ISBN 9781438475257
- Publicerad: Albany : State University of New York, 
- Copyright: ©2019
- Engelska viii, 232 pages
Serie: SUNY series in Italian/American culture
- Translating childhood, decoding America -- The newcomer and the splendid commonplace: using English as a second language -- Representing Italy in America -- A language for Bazzano: an Italian American returns home -- Between the Atlantic and oblivion: Carnevali in the 1930s.
- "The Autobiography of a Language is an exploration of the deep and powerful ties between language and identity, focusing on an Italian American author and addressing global themes of modern writing. This is the first extensive, book-length work on Emanuel Carnevali (1897-1942), the first Italian American to attain literary recognition. It is a study on how an Italian immigrant to New York became an author and a key figure in transnational modernism; but most importantly a study of contacts between American and Italian literatures in the modernist era, and an exploration of the challenges of writing in a second language. Carnevali's works are almost exclusively in English, even though he spent only eight years in the United States before returning to Italy. Combining literary analysis with some of the latest findings in applied linguistics and the study of bilingualism, this book contributes to a very active debate in the fields of comparative literature and translation studies: the implications of translingual writing. Andrea Ciribuco considers both the linguistic and cultural aspects of writing in a second language, examining its potential and pitfalls. In bringing Carnevali's works in touch with the socio-cultural context, The Autobiography of a Language offers a fresh view of the Italian/American cultural contacts at the time of the great wave of Italian emigration"--
- Amerikansk litteratur (sao)
- Italienska influenser (sao)
- Italian American authors -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- American literature -- Italian influences. (LCSH)
- Italian American authors. (fast)
- American literature -- Italian influences. (fast)
- American literature (LCSH)
- 1900-talet (sao)
- 1900-1999 (fast)
- Analys och tolkning (saogf)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
- Carnevali, Emanuel -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Carnevali, Emanuel.
- Carnevali, Emanuel, 1897-1942
- PS3505.A72752 (LCC)
- 818/.5203 (DDC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit