The Oxford handbook of the Baroque / edited by John D. Lyons.
Lyons, John D., 1946- (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9780190678449
- Publicerad: New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright: ©2019
- Engelska xvii, 888 pages
- Decentering the European imaginary: a Baroque taste for India / Faith Beasley -- Mapping the Baroque world / Tom Conley -- Baroque theatricality / Julia Gros de Gasquet -- Water in the Baroque garden / Stephanie Hanke -- Fashioning the Baroque male / Martha Hollander -- Antinomies of the postmodern Baroque / Monika Kaup -- Baroque automata / Jessica Keating -- The Baroque city / David Mayernick -- Baroque dress / Lesley Miller -- Ibero-American architecture and urbanism / Paul Niell -- Baroque dance / Jennifer Nevile -- Baroque organ / David Ponsford -- Baroque gardens / Denis Ribouillault -- Ottoman Baroque / Unver Rustem -- Baroque opera / Downing Thomas -- Machine plays / Helene Visentin -- Ornamentation / Michael Yonan -- Organization of knowledge / Emmanuel Bury -- The subject of knowledge and experience / Anthony Cascardi -- Civility and conversation / Delphine Denis -- The philosopher's Baroque / William Egginton -- Windmills in motion: the spanish novel in its wider contexts / Enrique Garcia-Santo-Tomas -- Baroque embassy / Timothy Hampton -- Baroque tragedy / Blair Hoxby -- Baroque in literary scholarship / Katherine Ibbett and Anna More -- Essay and discourse in the Baroque / Christopher Johnson -- Baroque philosophy / Michael Moriarty -- Ancient, modern and Baroque / Larry Norman -- Sacred eloquence / Anne Regent and Laurent Susini -- Prayer, meditation, and retreat / Mette Bruun -- Baroque sexualities / R. Gary Ferguson -- The anxieties, dilemmas and paradoxes that made the new science / Ofer Gal and Raz Chen-Morris -- Absolutism and the culture of the classico-Baroque / Helene Merlin-Kajman -- The end of witch hunting / Erik Midelfort -- Time and chronometry / Roland Racevskis -- Entertainment / Guy Spielmann Court -- The Baroque state / Barbara Stollberg-Rilinger.
- Few periods in history are so fundamentally contradictory as the Baroque, the culture flourishing from the mid-sixteenth to the mid-eighteenth centuries in Europe. When we hear the term Baroque, the first images that come to mind are symmetrically designed gardens in French chateaux, scenic fountains in Italian squares, and the vibrant rhythms of a harpsichord. Behind this commitment to rule, harmony, and rigid structure, however, the Baroque also embodies a deep fascination with wonder, excess, irrationality, and rebellion against order. The 'Oxford Handbook of the Baroque' delves into this contradiction to provide a sweeping survey of the Baroque not only as a style but also as a historical, cultural, and intellectual concept. With its thirty-eight chapters edited by leading expert John D. Lyons, the Handbook explores different manifestations of Baroque culture, from theatricality in architecture and urbanism to opera and dance, from the role of water to innovations in fashion, from mechanistic philosophy and literature to the tension between religion and science. 00These discussions present the Baroque as a broad cultural phenomenon that arose in response to the enormous changes emerging from the sixteenth century: the division between Catholics and Protestants, the formation of nation-states and the growth of absolutist monarchies, the colonization of lands outside Europe and the mutual impact of European and non-European cultures. Technological developments such as the telescope and the microscope and even greater access to high-quality mirrors altered mankinds view of the universe and of human identity itself. By exploring the Baroque in relation to these larger social upheavals, this Handbook reveals a fresh and surprisingly modern image of the Baroque as a powerful response to an epoch of crisis.
- Barockmusik (sao)
- Barockkonst (sao)
- Barocklitteratur (sao)
- Civilization, Baroque -- Encyclopedias. (LCSH)
- Civilization, Baroque. (fast)
- Baroque literature - History and criticism (LCSH)
- Art, Baroque (LCSH)
- Handböcker, manualer etc. (saogf)
- Encyclopedias. (fast)
- CB401 (LCC)
- 940.252 (DDC)
- Ka.43 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 6 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favoritAnge som favoritAnge som favoritAnge som favorit