Unveiling Paul's women : making sense of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 / Lucy Peppiatt ; with a foreword by Scot McKnight.
Peppiatt, Lucy (author.)
McKnight, Scot (writer of foreword.)
- ISBN 149828924X
- Publicerad: Eugene, Oregon : Cascade Books, 2018
- Copyright: ©2018
- Engelska xvi, 90 pages
- 1 Corinthians 11: too many problems -- Paul in conversation -- Whose image? Whose glory? -- Where and who is my head? -- Paul and the bigger picture -- Conclusion.
- Whether people realize it or not, the ideas in 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 have had a huge impact on the role of Christian women in the church through the centuries. These fifteen verses have shaped worship practices, church structures, church leadership, marriages, and even relationships between men and women in general. They have contributed to practices that have consistently placed women in a subordinate role to men, and have been used to justify the idea that a woman should not occupy a leadership or teaching position without being under the authority or "covering" of a man. It is strange, therefore, that academics and pastors alike continue to note how confusing and difficult it continues to be to make sense of these very verses. In this little book, Lucy Peppiatt not only highlights the problems associated with using this text to justify the subordination of women, but offers a clear and plausible re-reading of the text that paints the apostle Paul as a radical, visionary, church planter who championed women in all forms of leadership.
- Women in the Bible. (LCSH)
- Women -- Biblical teaching. (LCSH)
- Women -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (LCSH)
- Women. (fast)
- Women in the Bible. (fast)
- Women -- Biblical teaching. (fast)
- Women -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (fast)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
- Paul, the Apostle, Saint -- Views on women.
- Paul, the Apostle, Saint.
- Bible. Corinthians, 1st, XI, 2-16 -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- BS2675.6.W65 (LCC)
- 227.2067 (DDC)
- Ccbbb (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit