Mobility and migration choices : thresholds to crossing borders / edited by Martin van der Velde, Ton van Naerssen.
Velde, M. van der (Martin) (redaktör/utgivare)
Naerssen, A. L. van (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9781409458036
- Publicerad: Surrey, UK England ; Ashgate, 
- Copyright: ©2015
- Engelska xviii, 287 pages
Serie: Border regions series
- The Thresholds to Mobility Disentangled / Ton van Naerssen and Martin van der Velde -- Shopping for Differences : Mental and Physical Borders in the German-Polish Borderlands / Bianca B. Szytniewski -- Aspirations to Go : Understanding the Bounded Rationality of Prospective Migrants from Ghana / Lothar Smith -- Rational Routes? : Understanding Somali Migration to South Africa / Zaheera Jinnah -- Thresholds in Academic Mobility : The China Story / Maggi W.H. Leung -- Gendered Thresholds for Migration in Asia / Ton van Naerssen and Maruja M.B. Asis -- (Im)mobility in Karelia : A Space of Transforming Belonging / Alexander Izotov and Tiina Soininen -- Navigating the Thai-Cambodian Border : From Battlefield to a Dynamic Border Space / Pol Fàbrega and Helena Lim -- From Spontaneity to Corridors and Gateways : Cross-Border Mobility between the United States and Canada / Victor Konrad -- When Fencing Is Not Protecting : The Case of Israel-Gaza / Doaa Elnakhala -- Homeland Security? : The Effects of Border Enforcement in Guatemala / Ninna Nyberg Sørensen -- Reflections on EU Border Policies : Human Mobility and Borders : Ethical Perspectives / Fabio Baggio -- Doing Borderwork in Workplaces : Circular Migration from Poland to Denmark and the Netherlands / Marie Sandberg and Roos Pijpers -- Between the New World and the Old World : Changing Contexts of Exit and Reception in the Bolivia-Spain Migration Corridor / Gery Nijenhuis / Boats, Borders and Ballot Boxes : Asylum Seekers on Australia's Northern Shore / Graeme Hugo and Caven Jonathan Napitupulu -- African Passages through Istanbul / Joris Schapendonk -- Immobilized between Two EU Thresholds : Suspended Trajectories of Sub-Saharan Migrants in the Limboscape of Ceuta / Xavier Ferrer-Gallardo and Keina R. Espiñeira -- The Threshold Approach Revisited / Martin van der Velde and Ton van Naerssen -- Borders as Resourceful Thresholds / Henk van Houtum.
- The crossing of national state borders is one of the most-discussed issues of contemporary times and it poses many challenges for individual and collective identities. This concerns both short-distance mobility as well as long-distance migration. Choosing to move - or not - across international borders is a complex decision, involving both cognitive and emotional processes. This book tests the approach that three crucial thresholds need to be crossed before mobility occurs; the individual's mindset about migrating, the choice of destination and perception of crossing borders to that location and the specific routes and spatial trajectories available to get there. Thus both borders and trajectories can act as thresholds to spatial moves. The threshold approach, with its focus on processes affecting whether, when and where to move, aims to understand the decision-making process in all its dimensions, in the hope that this will lead to a better understanding of the ways migrants conceive, perceive and undertake their transnational journeys. This book examines the three constitutive parts discerned in the cross-border mobility decision-making process: people, borders and trajectories and their interrelationships. Illustrated by a global range of case studies, it demonstrates that the relation between the three is not fixed but flexible and that decision-making contains aspects of belonging, instability, security and volatility affecting their mobility or immobility.--
- Etnopsykologi (sao)
- Kulturell assimilation (sao)
- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Emigration and immigration -- Psychological aspects -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Immigrants -- Psychology -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Ethnopsychology -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Identity (Psychology) -- Social aspects -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Assimilation (Sociology) -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Migration -- sociala aspekter (sao)
- Migration -- psykologiska aspekter (sao)
- Invandrare -- psykologiska aspekter (sao)
- Identitet (psykologi) -- sociala aspekter (sao)
- Ethnopsychology (LCSH)
- Assimilation (Sociology) (LCSH)
- Case studies. (fast)
- Case studies.
- Case sutides.
- JV6225 (LCC)
- 304.8 (DDC)
- 74.94 (bcl)
- Ojc (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit