Our man : Richard Holbrooke and the end of the American century / George Packer.
Packer, George, 1960- (author.)
- ISBN 9780307958020
- First edition.
- Publicerad: New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2019
- Copyright: ℗♭2019
- Engelska 592 pages
- Dreams so far away -- Vietnam : how can we lose when we're so sincere? -- How does he do it? -- Swallow hard -- Since I am now hopeless -- Bosnia : they'll come for me -- We are close to our dreams -- You're either going to win or fall -- Afghanistan : everything is different--and everything is the same.
- "From the award-winning author of The Unwinding--the vividly told saga of the ambition, idealism, and hubris of one of the most legendary and complicated figures in recent American history, set amid the rise and fall of U.S. power from Vietnam to Afghanistan. Richard Holbrooke was brilliant, wholly self-absorbed, and possessed of almost inhuman energy and appetites. Admired and detested, he was the force behind the Dayton Accords that ended the Balkan wars, America's greatest diplomatic achievement in the post-Cold War era. His power lay in an utter belief in himself and his idea of a muscular, generous foreign policy. From his days as a young adviser in Vietnam to his last efforts to end the war in Afghanistan, Holbrooke embodied the postwar American impulse to take the lead on the global stage. But his sharp elbows and tireless self-promotion ensured that he never rose to the highest levels in government that he so desperately coveted. His story is thus the story of America during its era of supremacy: its strength, drive, and sense of possibility, as well as its penchant for overreach and heedless self-confidence. In Our Man, drawn from Holbrooke's diaries and papers, we are given a nonfiction narrative that is both intimate and epic in its revelatory portrait of this extraordinary and deeply flawed man, and the elite spheres of society and government he inhabited"--Jacket.
- Diplomater (sao)
- Ambassadörer (sao)
- Statsmän (sao)
- Diplomats -- United States -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Ambassadors -- United States -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Statesmen -- United States -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Ambassadors (LCSH)
- Statesmen (LCSH)
- Diplomats (LCSH)
- Biografi (saogf)
- Biographies. (LCSH)
- Biography. (fast.)
- Holbrooke, Richard C., 1941-2010.
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Lz Biografi: särskilda personer
- 320.092 (DDC)
- Lz Holbrooke, Richard, C. (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 3 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favoritAnge som favorit
Stockholms stadsbibliotek (Ssb)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Lz Holbrooke, Richard C.