Stealing green mangoes : two brothers, two fates, one Indian childhood / Sunil Dutta.
Dutta, Sunil (author.)
- ISBN 9780062795854
- First edition.
- Publicerad: New York: NY : An Anthony Bourdain Book/Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 
- Copyright: ℗♭2019
- Engelska 238 pages
- News from France -- Raja park -- The exile -- A maharaja in raja park -- A Jaipur romance -- Falling out -- The dangerous game: Raju with Khalistanis -- Must love end in a tragedy? -- Flight of love across the oceans -- Science, idealism, disillusion, and the search for meaning -- The first day -- Victims as killers -- Criminals? Victims? Do we have a choice?.
- "A memoir about the divergent paths of two brothers - one who became a police officer and the other a murderer. Sunil Dutta was a twenty-year veteran of the LAPD. Before that, he was a biologist at the University of California and a translator of classic Indian poetry. Before that, he was a destitute refugee, his family uprooted by the genocidal violence surrounding the Partition of India. Back then, he had a brother. Back then, they were children together, chasing whatever fun and solace they could find in impossible conditions. Sunil looked up to Raju. He admired his strength, his character. Raju took a different path. He was arrested, he fled the law, he became a fugitive. He became a terrorist. Then he became a father - and then a murderer. After being diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer later in life, Sunil urgently wanted to understand what choices had led he and his brother down such radically different paths. In Stealing Green Mangoes, Dutta takes us from his family home in Rajasthan to America, to France, to the streets of southeastern Los Angeles, homing in on the questions that tore him and Raju apart: Can you outgrow the madness that made you? Can you make peace with the ghosts of your past? A memoir with sweeping, spiritual ambitions, Stealing Green Mangoes tells the story of a man who pushed back against the forces that captured his own brother and built a compassionate, meaningful life in a broken world."--Inside dust jacket.
- Flyktingar (sao)
- Cancerpatienter (sao)
- Invandrare (sao)
- Brothers. (LCSH)
- Immigrants -- California -- Los Angeles -- Biography. (LCSH)
- East Indian Americans -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Police -- California -- Los Angeles -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Lungs -- Cancer -- Patients -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Poliser (kao)
- Refugees (LCSH)
- Immigrants (LCSH)
- Förenta staterna -- Los Angeles (sao)
- Självbiografier (saogf)
- Autobiographies. (lcgft.)
- Dutta, Sunil.
- Dutta, Sunil -- Family.
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Lz Biografi: särskilda personer
- E184.E2 (LCC)
- 973/.04914/0092 (DDC)
- Lz Dutta, Sunil (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit