The first modern risk : workplace accidents and the origins of European social states / Julia Moses.
Moses, Julia, 1979- (author.)
- ISBN 9781108657853
- Publicerad: Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2018
- Engelska 1 online resource (xvi, 319 pages)
Serie: Studies in legal history
- Relaterad länk:
https://doi.org/10.1... (Table of contents / Abstracts)
- Accidents, freedom and modernity in the nineteenth century -- Occupational risk, work and the nation state -- Spreading risk, forging solidarity -- Taking risks and dismissing fate -- Workers, citizens and the state -- Risk societies as 'people's communities'.
- During the late nineteenth century, many countries across Europe adopted national legislation that required employers to compensate workers injured or killed in accidents at work. These laws suggested that the risk of accidents was inherent to work and not due to individual negligence. By focusing on Britain, Germany, and Italy during this time, Julia Moses demonstrates how these laws reflected a major transformation in thinking about the nature of individual responsibility and social risk. The First Modern Risk illuminates the implications of this conceptual revolution for the role of the state in managing problems of everyday life, transforming understandings about both the obligations and rights of individuals. Drawing on a wide array of disciplines including law, history, and politics, Moses offers a fascinating transnational view of a pivotal moment in the evolution of the welfare state.
- Industrial accidents -- Europe -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Workers' compensation -- Europe -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Welfare state -- Europe -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Risk-taking (Psychology) -- Europe -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- HD7262.5.E85 (LCC)
- 363.11094/09034 (DDC)
- Ohae (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Cambridge Core All Books:Full Text) (Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles:Full Text)