Re-envisaging the first age of cinematic horror, 1896-1934 : quanta of fear / David Annwn Jones.
Jones, David J. (David James), 1953- (författare)
- ISBN 1786833352
- Publicerad: Cardiff : University of Wales Press, 
- Copyright: ©2018
- Engelska xii, 231 pages
Serie: Horror studies
- Satanic seizure and the crimson smoke of fear -- Torture rooms and the diva of death -- Omnibus to Hell and the inescapable carriage -- Tickets to the madhouse -- Experimental delirium -- Mind the gap! Fear on the verge and after sound -- Sadean masterpieces, dread and slaughter.
- "This is a ground-breaking exploration that runs generally against the critical grain in identifying a burgeoning production of films of fear and horror before the admission of the horror film genre per se. It is a study that reveals and emphasises the formative and innovative power of film, from George Méliès's Le manoir du Diable (1896) to Edgar G. Ulmer's superbly reflexive The Black Cat (1934). With its focus on twenty-one key films, and referencing other relevant productions, the present study involves an inclusive and sensitive approach. It reveals an awareness of the heterogeneity of horror production with the discussion spanning the period of the invention of movies, the expansion from single-reelers to longer and continuous productions, and the advent of talkies. Stepping beyond the bounds of Anglo-American studios, in its seven chapters the book involves the work of directors from France, Spain, England, Moravia, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Mexico and the USA, to consider and compare films that have not reviously received serious attention"--Back cover.
- Horror films -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Horror films. (fast)
- Skräckfilm (sfit)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Horror films
- PN1995.9.H6 (LCC)
- 791.43/6164 (DDC)
- Imbae (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit