Gender equality and genocide prevention in Africa : the responsibility to protect / Serena Timmoneri.
Timmoneri, Serena (author.)
- ISBN 9780367075903
- Publicerad: New York, NY : Routledge, 2019
- Engelska 103 pages
- Introduction -- Engendering genocide prevention -- Genocide and gender equality -- Case studies -- Analysis and results -- Conclusions.
- This book investigates what impact gender equality has on genocide in Africa, to verify whether it is a missing indicator from current risk assessments and models for genocide prevention. Examining whether states characterised by lower levels of gender equality are more likely to experience genocide, Timmoneri adds gender indicators to the existing early warning assessment for the prevention of genocide. Moreover, the book argues for the formulation of policies directed at the improvement of gender equality not just as a means to improve women's conditions but as a tool to reduce the risk of genocide and mass atrocities. Using case studies from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Angola, Uganda and Burundi, Timmoneri analyses recent atrocities and explores the role of gender equality as an indicator of potential genocide. Gender Equality and Genocide Prevention in Africa will be of interest to students and scholars of political science, genocide studies and gender studies--Provided by publisher.
- Responsibility to protect (International law) (LCSH)
- Genocide -- Africa -- Prevention. (LCSH)
- Sex discrimination against women -- Africa. (LCSH)
- Women -- Africa -- Social conditions. (LCSH)
- HV6322.7 (LCC)
- 304.663096 (DDC)
- Ojp (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit