Chadwick, Henry: Essäer. Urval
Henry Chadwick : selected writings / edited and introduced by William G. Rusch.
Chadwick, Henry, 1920-2008 (author.)
Rusch, William G., (editor.)
- ISBN 978-0-8028-7277-7 (hardcover alk paper)
- Grand Rapids, Michigan : William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2017
- Engelska xxxii, 347 pages
- Foreword / Rowan Williams -- Introduction / William G. Rusch -- Ministry and tradition -- Episopacy in the New Testament and early church -- The role of the Christian bishop in ancient society -- Bishops and monks -- The origin of the title 'oecumenical council' -- Faith and order at the Council of Nicaea : a note on the background of the sixth canon -- Ossius of Cordova and the presidency of the Council of Antioch, 325 -- The Chalcedonian definition -- The circle and the ellipse : rival concepts of authority in the early church -- St. Peter and St. Paul in Rome : the problem of the Memoria apostolurm ad catacumbas -- The power of music -- New letters of St. Augustine -- New sermons of St. Augustine -- On re-reading the Confessions -- Providence and the problem of evil in Augustine -- The attractions of Mani -- Augustine's ethics -- The originality of early Christian ethics -- Pachomios and the idea of sanctity -- Christian and Roman universalism in the fourth century -- Oracles of the end in the conflict of paganism and Christianity in the fourth century.
- This anthology offers a choice selection of writings by one of the twentieth century's premier church historians, Sir Henry Chadwick. Many of Chadwick's considerable contributions to a fuller understanding of the early church were unpublished or not circulated widely during his lifetime, but here they are compiled in a convenient, accessible form. Reflecting Chadwick's wide-ranging expertise, this volume contains his essays on a variety of themes pertaining to the early church, including the emerging faith's relationship to classical culture; the interaction between piety, politics, and theology; councils in the early church; the power of music in the church; and more. As relevant for the study of early Christianity today as when they were first written, Chadwick's essays remain a valuable resource for better understanding the church both past and present, shedding light on ecumenical problems that still keep Christians visibly divided. -- From dust jacket.
- Theology. (LCSH)
- Teologi (sao)
- Church history. (LCSH)
- Church history. (fast)
- Theology. (fast)
- Theology, Doctrinal. (fast)
- Theology (LCSH)
- Church of England
- Church of England -- Doctrines.
- Church of England.
- BX5199.C43 (LCC)
- 230/.3 (DDC)
- Cke.02 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit