The Sermon on the mount and moral theology : a virtue perspective / William C. Mattison III, University of Notre Dame.
Mattison, William C., III, 1971- (author.)
- ISBN 9781316761342
- Publicerad: Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2017
- Engelska 1 online resource (xiii, 279 pages)
- Relaterad länk:
https://doi.org/10.1... (Table of contents / Abstracts)
- In this volume, William C. Mattison, III demonstrates that virtue ethics provides a helpful key for unlocking the moral wisdom of the Sermon on the Mount. Showing how familiar texts such as the Beatitudes and Petitions of the Lord's Prayer are more richly understood, and can even be aligned with the theological and cardinal virtues, he also locates in the Sermon classic topics in morality, such as the nature of happiness, intentionality, the intelligibility of human action, and the development of virtue. Yet far from merely placing the teaching of Aristotle in the mouth of Jesus, he demonstrates how the Sermon presents an account of happiness and virtue transformed in the light of Christian faith. The happiness portrayed is that of the Kingdom of heaven, and the habits needed to participate in it in the next life, but even initially in this one, are possible only by God's grace through Jesus Christ, and lived in the community that is the Church.
- Virtue. (LCSH)
- Christian ethics -- Biblical teaching. (LCSH)
- Sermon on the mount -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- BT380.3 (LCC)
- 241.5/3 (DDC)
- Cf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Cambridge Core All Books:Full Text)