The politics of peacemaking in Africa : non-state actors' role in the Liberian Civil War / Babatunde Tolu Afolabi.
Afolabi, Babatunde Tolu (författare)
- ISBN 1847011586
- Publicerad: Suffolk ; James Currey, 2017
- Copyright: ©2017
- Engelska xii, 203 pages
Serie: Western Africa Series
- Until the 1990s, conflict resolution and peacemaking fell to states, the UN and other intergovernmental organizations. In recent times it is non-armed, non-state actors who have had a pivotal role in seeking to resolve civil wars in Africa. This book examines, for the first time, through an examination of the Liberian Civil War in particular, how non-state actors have impacted upon peace processes. The Liberian Civil War was the first post-Cold War intra-state conflict in West Africa and exemplified the "new wars" breaking out on the continent. The peace process that followed showed how future peacemaking processes might evolve, being not only the first in which a regional economic grouping had a role - in this case ECOWAS - but also involving non-state religious and diaspora actors. Religious actors, initiators of the Liberian peace process, were mediators, dialogue facilitators, watchdogs and trustees of the entire peace process. Although their efforts were mainly influenced by the desire to fulfil the divine mandate to "tend to the flock", they were also able to regain some of the societal influence that organized religion, especially Christianity, enjoyed during the 158 years of minority Americo-Liberian rule. Diaspora actors' roles ranged from being founders and sponsors of warring factions to providing succour to Liberians back home through remittances and engaging in the peace process.
- Inbördeskriget i Liberia 1989-1996 (sao)
- Fredsbyggande (sao)
- Konfliktlösning (sao)
- Conflict management (LCSH)
- Peace-building (LCSH)
- Civil War (Liberia : 1989-1996)
- 303.6/4096662 (DDC)
- Oclb (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Nordiska Afrikainstitutets bibliotek, Biblioteket (Afr)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Liberia 17/726