The art of brutalism : rescuing hope from catastrophe in 1950s Britain / Ben Highmore.
Highmore, Ben, 1961- (author.)
- ISBN 9780300222746
- Publicerad: New Haven : Yale University Press, 2017
- Copyright: ©2017
- Engelska 297 pages
- Introduction: brutalism: style, substance, sensibility -- Parallel of life and art: brutalism's locus classicus -- Building on ruins: East End ethnography and vernacular urbanism -- Acid etched walls: Hammer Prints and domestic brutalism -- Brutalist bodies and cybernetic time -- Domestic anxiety and ideal homes: brutalism at the Ideal Home Exhibition -- Epilogue: the aftermath of brutalism.
- While most famously associated with numerous mid-century architects, Brutalism was a style of visual art that was also adopted by painters, sculptors, printmakers, and photographers. Taking into account Brutalist work by eminent artists such as Richard Hamilton and Eduardo Paolozzi, as well as lesser-known practitioners like Nigel Henderson and Magda Cordell, this volume focuses on a ten-year period between 1952 and 1962 when artists refused a programmatic set of aesthetics and began experimenting with images that had no set focal point, using non-traditional materials like bombsite debris in their work, and producing objects that were characterized by wit and energy along with anxiety, trauma, and melancholia. This original study offers insights into how Brutalism enabled British artists of the mid-20th century to respond ethically and aesthetically to the challenges posed by the rise of consumer culture and unbridled technological progress.
- Arkitektur och samhälle (sao)
- Brutalism (sao)
- Art, British -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Brutalism (Architecture) -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Architecture and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Architecture and society. (fast)
- Art and society. (fast)
- Art, British. (fast)
- Brutalism (Architecture) (fast)
- Architecture and society (LCSH)
- Brutalism (Architecture) (LCSH)
- Great Britain.
- 1900-talet (sao)
- N6768 (LCC)
- 701.03 (DDC)
- Iaa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit